1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2013 11:30 PM by Jim Wahl

Layering Data in Tableau 7.0

andy wester

Hello,

I'm new to Tabelau and was hoping that someone could help me with this problem.  I have 4 sets of sales data from Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 on separate excel workbooks and was hoping that I could layer this data into Tableau so I can do comparisons between the years.  I would combine these on the same spreadsheet but I think this would exceed the 1000 row shelf.  I want to be able to have a master filter then be able to drill down into each quarter then by material number.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Layering Data in Tableau 7.0
          Jim Wahl

Life will be a lot easier if, as you suggest, combine all of the worksheets into a single data source.

Other then cut-and-pasting these in Excel (Excel handles >>1000 rows, but at some point becomes unstable), there are a few ways to do this. In increasing order of complexity:

1. Tableau: Add Data From File

Create an Tableau Extract from the initial Excel file (when you connect to the Excel file, select import all data). Then right-click the data source in the upper left pane > Extract > Add Data From File.

2. Use separate sheets in Excel and Custom SQL in Tableau

If the sheets are in the same workbook, you can use Custom SQL and a UNION ALL statement to "stack" the data into a single data table. Search for UNION ALL and you'll see an example and, if not, reply here and I can sketch it out.

3. Use an Excel macro / Excel federated connection

I haven't done this, but have seen it recommended on the Forums. If you Google for combine multiple files in Excel, you should see a few options. My understanding is that there is a method that allows you to keep the files separate (allowing you to update them independently); hence the term federated---Excel is providing a connection to multiple files.

4. Use a script or third-party tool like Alteryx

Alteryx has a free project edition that can do this. This is probably easier than (3) above, depending on your familiarity with Excel or comfort level with ETL type software. If you want to go this route and hit a roadblock, post a follow-up and someone will likely post a short example.

Jim