1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 8:41 AM by Shawn Wallwork Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 15. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
        Alex Kerin

Sure thing Shawn. In fact, here's a suggestion of one where we discuss un-re-shaping data...:

http://community.tableau.com/thread/136450

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • 16. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
          Shawn Wallwork

That's great Alex!

It also points out one thing I didn't mention, but that I hope the group will adopts: let's dispense with any sniff of political correctness here; if you worked on a question and produced an interesting answer, then save it to the collection. No need for humility waiting for someone else to think it good. Just throw it into the pot and we'll sort it out just before publication.

The folks answering the really deep-dive question are the ones most likely to know their own best work, so don't be shy.

--Shawn

PS: Yo, Toby Erkson where are you? Also kettan I know you're off teaching grammar/language, but any chance you can contribute a few good idea lists?

• 17. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
            Jonathan Drummey

Sign me up!

• 18. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
              Toby Erkson

Shawn, I remember your digests.  You were quite the new force as a contributor.  I can tell those who are new contributors because they try to have a comment or answer for a variety of threads in order to bolster their post count; it's blatantly obvious when it's an old thread...definitely desperately searching.  But you actually contributed, particularly with your digests.  Talk about an undertaking!  You also brought in conversation and rebellion.  We can tell that you are passionate about the product.

So, anyway, back on track here.  When I was coming back into Tableau after my break I found your digests helpful.  If the title caught my eye I would check it out.  I'm still learning how to use these products even after several years so sifting through the noise and finding good subject matter helps.  Which leads me to now:  I'm so freakin' busy it's hard to get more time in the forums for me.  My current place is Cognos-centric (thank you IBM for destroying a once awesome product) so me spending time outside my 'normal' admin tasks is, shall we say, uncomfortable at this time.  I'm hoping the new year will give me more leeway.  Give me instructions on what I should do and I'll try to help but my contributions will probably be marginal for the digests.

• 19. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                Shawn Wallwork

Turns out Jive and Forum Polls won't work the way we'd like. Let me challenge our community to come up with the best way to do the following:

1. Collect Threads in a bin (folder)
                2. Vote for those that should be published

The only requirement in my mind: as I am 'forum-ing' along I can easily (a click or two) nominate (move) a thread to a repository. [I personally don't mind if it takes a bit of setup but after that it should be click-click done.] Then at the end of the month, we'll open up the voting/discussion and finally produce a Digest.

I'm open to anything that makes this easy. Mostly because while I know we've all committed (semi-committed) to contributing to producing a Tableau Forums Digest; if it's not a one-click-easy thing we will all eventually drop off. (Just sayin'...)

And I'm really looking for the best solution.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 20. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                  Jonathan Drummey

How about starting a monthly thread (that would have some instructions that would repeat each month), then people could nominate posts during the month as comments (one nomination per comment, and the voting as such could be Likes on the comments?

Jonathan

• 21. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                    Shawn Wallwork

Not quite sure I completely follow. I was sort of trying for a 'repository' of links to threads (ease of use and all). But hey I'll give anything a go. Just want it to be EZ for all the collectors, so they don't lose heart.

--Shawn

• 22. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                      Shawn Wallwork

Toby Erkson wrote:

Shawn, I remember your digests.  You were quite the new force as a contributor.  I can tell those who are new contributors because they try to have a comment or answer for a variety of threads in order to bolster their post count; it's blatantly obvious when it's an old thread...definitely desperately searching.  But you actually contributed, particularly with your digests.  Talk about an undertaking!  You also brought in conversation and rebellion.  We can tell that you are passionate about the product.

So, anyway, back on track here.  When I was coming back into Tableau after my break I found your digests helpful.  If the title caught my eye I would check it out.  I'm still learning how to use these products even after several years so sifting through the noise and finding good subject matter helps.  Which leads me to now:  I'm so freakin' busy it's hard to get more time in the forums for me.  My current place is Cognos-centric (thank you IBM for destroying a once awesome product) so me spending time outside my 'normal' admin tasks is, shall we say, uncomfortable at this time.  I'm hoping the new year will give me more leeway.  Give me instructions on what I should do and I'll try to help but my contributions will probably be marginal for the digests.

Toby, you walked a very fine line here, which is difficult in most forum settings. I feel both challenged/punked and appreciated. This is not an easy task to pull off. Kudos my friend, you do have a forums touch.

--Shawn

• 23. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                        Jonathan Drummey

Here's my concept in more detail:

- A new folder or group for Monthly Digest Nominations is created. I'm not

sure about the visibility of this group, I think having it public would be

good.

- In that folder, each month a new thread is created, titled "December

2013", "January 2014", etc. Only the moderator(s) can create threads.

- Over the course of the month, the nominators can post responses to the

thread. Each response would be a single nomination with a a single link to

a Tableau forums post, perhaps with an explanation of why the nominated

post was useful/inspiring/awesome.

- Nominators would also apply Likes to the responses. I'm not sure whether

Jive can limit who can post & like to just the nominators or not, if not

then maybe the folder/group is a private one to the nominators.

- At the end of the month, if there are fewer nominations than the N

desired number of posts for the Monthly Digest, then all the posts get in.

If not, then the Top N based on # of Likes get in, and whoever is doing the

work of assembling the digest gets some discretion in that process, for

example to include a post that just missed the cutoff. If we wanted to get

fancy with that, maybe we could get Tableau/Tracy to create a Tableau

workbook based on the Monthly Digest Nominations that would be sortable &

filterable so the list could be automatically made.

- The digest gets posted in the forums, on the Tableau blog, etc.

The advantages I see to this process are that it can be done entirely in

Jive, the digest assembly is a matter of copying and pasting a set of

links, and depending on Jive's permissions could be made transparent. In

terms of nominating posts, that would take the following steps:

1. Copy the post link. (right-click on the post header and choose Copy Link

or Copy Shortcut)

2. Navigate to the Monthly Digest Nominations (if this was a sidebar menu

item then that would be one click).

3. Open up the current month's thread. (one click).

4. Click Reply to the thread. (one click).

5. Paste in the post link (one click).

6. Type in any explanatory or supportive comments of the nomination.

7. Click Add Reply (one click).

So, 7 clicks and potentially some typing.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Shawn Wallwork <

• 24. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                          Shawn Wallwork

This works for me. Doesn't even need to have any verbiage written with it, could just be a list of links like Andy's Best Of Web. Maybe grouped by topic (or not).

--Shawn

PS: I nominate you as group admin.

• 25. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                            Prashant Sharma

Wow!

I just checked this out & find it very useful for a guy like me. This is really awesome! Thank you all for this thing. Always learning!

Happy Learning!

• 26. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                              Toby Erkson
                              Shawn Wallwork wrote:

PS: I nominate you as group admin.

LOL

• 27. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                                Shawn Wallwork

Here you go: Tableau Forums Digest Collections. Collect away....

--Shawn

• 28. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                                  Shawn Wallwork

Note: I'm thinking it's best if we 'Publish' the Digest during the 2nd week of every month since the end/beginning of month can be crazy. This means the the Jan 2014 is open for business. No need to wait, start collecting threads folks!

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 29. Re: Tableau Forums Digest Reboot?
                                    Dana Withers

If you still need help... I'm happy to help also