1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 3:41 PM by Cristian Vasile

Having trouble wrapping mind around R integration into Tableau..

zeshan.iqbal

Alright so I don't completely understand the limitations as they currently stand when it comes to using R within Tableau.

I just want to see if something like this is possible.

I am trying to calculate the mode of a something using R in Tableau. Let's assume teradatatable is a data source connected via teradata.

itemids <- unique(teradatatable[,c("ITEM_ID")])

result <- as.data.frame(rbind(c("1",2)))

colnames(result) <- c("item_id", "mode_price")

result[,c("item_id")] <- as.character(result[,c("item_id")])

result[,c("mode_price")] <- as.numeric(as.character(result[,c("mode_price")]))

#that was just initializing the table

n <- length(unique(teradatatable[,c("ITEM_ID")])

for (i in 1:n) {

subsetsku <- teradatatable[teradatatable[,c("ITEM_ID")] == itemids[i],]

mode <- names(sort(-table(subsetsku[,c("PRICE")])))[1]

result <- rbind(result,c(itemids[i],mode))

}

result is a two column table which has item ID and mode price with all of the unique item ids represented.

For an example data set, lets just say it's a bunch of item ids, many repeating, with different price points some price points repeat.

My end goal is that I want to be able to push item id data and mode price data onto a view in Tableau. They can be aggregated as long as I can use average and it will bring it back down to the same mode price.

I ultimately want to be able to make a view on Tableau, something like |Item ID|Price(Mode)|Sales|Qty| etc..

My current R code works fine in R, but how would I go about transitioning it into a Tableau friendly format?