1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 9:12 AM by Mark Smith

How do I perform Quarter to Quarter calculation and show that in a bar chart

Kiran v

This is a very basic Tableau question but have to ask and did not find a correct solution anywhere hence asking. I am looking to create a visualization where I can see one specific quarter compared to last year same quarter but in percent difference.

example looking for Q3, 2013 to Q3, 2012 and percent difference in Q3, 2013.

I tried doing add a table calculation and then percent difference--> filter on stay date--> previous but it keeps on calculating previous row and not the previous year's same quarter.

Any guidance would be appreciated. The data i have cannot be shared but superstore sample data could be used to as calculations can be replicated across board.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do I perform Quarter to Quarter calculation and show that in a bar chart
          Mark Smith

Kiran,

Prolly it is just not using the correct "partition".  If you click the drop down on the table calc pill and choose edit, you'll see a compute using option.  For most of the simple cross tabs, you can select table(down) or table (across)...if one of these doesn't seem to work, you need to hit advanced and actually tell it the partition, the way to group your data. So if you wanted Quarter versus Year Ago for different products, you would partition by Products, but have Date in the addressing.  Addressing are the attributes that data changes over...

Cheers,

Mark