6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 7:37 AM by Matt Lutton

Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.

Rob Strong

I have a US map that I need to create inset maps of Alaska and Hawaii. When I add them to the dashboard using Floating and adjust their size scroll bars appear. There isn't an option to Fit the map to remove the scroll bars. If you select and move the floating map they scrolls hide, but they are still there and as soon as a filter is changed, they reappear. They also reappear upon being published. And as you can see in the example workbook single axis maps don't have that problem.

I don't know if this is a bug or by design but it sure is a pain!

• 1. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
          Matt Lutton

This is new to me, but does appear to be related to the dual axis setup.  If you place the dual axis in a container object, the scroll bars go away.

It seems to be due to the white space created by using a dual axis.  I'm not sure if you figured this out, but just enlarging the floating sheet a bit will also eliminate the issue.  See attached.  Note that I also removed the lines around the outside of the box, so it more or less blends in with the main map.

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
            Shawn Wallwork

Rob (and Matthew) this doesn't have anything to do with dual axis. The problem can occur in a single axis map as well. The problem seems to happen if you resize a map in the worksheet. If you just create a map in the worksheet and then put it on a dashboard then you don't seem to get the scrolls.

Anyway here's a write up of the workaround I sent to a forum member a couple of weeks ago:

This issue has been around since 6.0 (when I first joined the Tableau world). And yes it is a stupid issue, but does have a solution. Go to the map sheet, undo the dual axis and make the sheet size smaller than you think you need on the dashboard:

Scroll-1.png

(When you have the dual axis on, sometimes T doesn’t want to recognize the resize box, but sometimes it does.) Now put the dual axis back on:

Scroll-2.png

Now go to the dashboard and select the map and you’ll see something like this:

Scroll-3.png

Now here’s the fun part. Resize the grey outsize border so it’s larger than the final map will be. Then resize the map’s border to the size you want:

Scroll-4.png

Scroll-5.png

Scroll-6.png

Now is when you will really fall in love with the position/size box. Decrease the width until you’re almost at the border of the map, then click one pixel at a time until you get the scroll bar:

Scroll-7.png

Now back off one. Do the same for the height. You’ll end up with this:

Scroll-8.png

The trick is to make the map on the worksheet smaller than the one you need on the dashboard; if it’s not there’s no way to get at the map borders to resize the map.

I learned this with the first Tableau viz I ever did. 10 small maps surrounding one big one. I had to do this all by hand nudging the map borders closer and closer to the container until the dreaded scroll bars showed up. And they all had to be the exact same size!

Cheers,

--Shawn

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
              Rob Strong

Thanks Shawn that worked perfectly. I didn't even realize there was all that space in there.

• 4. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
                Shawn Wallwork

Glad it worked for you Rob. Here's the Idea I just created to solve the problem:

http://community.tableau.com/ideas/2829

Please consider voting for it.

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
                  Shawn Wallwork

Matthew, Rob and All. Jonathan just informed me that Tableau does confirm that dual axis and single axis maps are not the same size and this is an official bug. So I stand corrected in that it has something to do with dual axis. But in another sense it really doesn't, because it's the different size the triggers the scroll bars. And as I've show resizing a single axis worksheet can trigger the same scroll bars.

Any hopefully these bugs will all be fixed soon.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Unable to use Fit with Dual Axis Map and avoid scroll bars.
                    Matt Lutton

Right; the dual axis just adds the extra space without any resizing.  Regardless, its good to have a workaround.