7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2013 1:03 PM by Daniel Huang

Creating a dual axis map of county and zip

Daniel Huang

I'm looking to create a dual axis map that highlights county and zip code. It should be very simple to do in concept but I have a hard time mapping county as a geo dimension and county.

What I want to show is a county background map and then plot hospitals by zip code in the county. The hospital should be indicated by a symbol (circle, square, etc) but plotted in the group of counties. I've attached the excel workbook here. Any help is appreciated and I'd like to learn how it is done.

Most of the tutorials I've found are taught in Tableau 7.0 and I haven't found a good one on the internet.

Daniel

• 1. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
          Ramon Martinez

Hi Daniel,

For mapping the hospitals of your data source follow the steps:

1.- Open the excel file in Tableau

2.- double click on Zip Code. As a result the hospitals will be plotted on the map. You are able to change the symbol if you will

3.- In menu Map, select Map Options...

Map Options will be displayed in the left-side of the view

4.- Check Map Layers:

US County Borders

US County Names

Zip Code Boundaries, and

Zip Code Labels (if you want to show the zip code numbers)

See attached a workbook with you data source.

I hope this helps you to learn how to mapping hospitals.

best,

Ramon

• 2. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
            Daniel Huang

Thanks for your quick response Ramon. I guess I did not articulate very well what I'm looking for in my first post. I also want to be able to have a filled map of the counties that hospitals are located in. So visually, all the counties that a hospital are in would be all the same color, and then I would plot the hospital (location determined by zip) on top of the counties. Does that make any sense?

• 3. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
              Ramon Martinez

Hi Daniel,

Ok, I will try to implement your requirement and I'll be back to you in some minutes.

Ramon

• 4. Re: Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
                Ramon Martinez

HI Daniel,

Your scenario can be solve with dual axis map, as you mentioned in the title of the thread.

See attached the workbook with the solution.

Best,

Ramon

• 5. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
                  Daniel Huang

Hi Ramon,

That is exactly what I am looking for. Can you teach me the steps on how you created that graph? I'd like to learn for myself. Thank you.

Daniel

• 6. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
                    Ramon Martinez

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you get the right solution to your requirement.

I describe bellow the steps to create this dual axis map:

1.- Connect to your data source. Note that Tableau assigned a geographic role to County and Zip Code

2.- Double click on the dimension Zip Code.  As a result the location of hospitals are mapped

3.- Click on Longitude (generated) (green pill on Column shelf), hold Ctrl key and drag that pill to the right side.

Note that two identical maps are displayed in the view

4.- Click on the second Longitude (generated) pill located on Columns shelf and select Dual Axis. Now you have a dual axis map with the location of hospitals

Note that on Marks you have two measures: Longitude (generated) and Longitude (generated) (2)

5.- On Marks card , click on Longitude (generated), replace Zip Code by County on Detail. (This indicate that this axis will present data by County) and select Filled Maps as the type of view in Marks.

As a result you will have a dual axis map where one axis shows data at zip code level using a symbol (dots) and the other axis shows a filled map at County level.

I hope this helps you to learn the process to create this type of map.

best,

Ramon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Creating a dual axis map of county and zip
                      Daniel Huang

EDIT:

I've figured out how to change the background color, but a new issue has come up. Is there a way to show a certain hospital system in the backdrop of all the counties listed? Every time I try to show a hospital system, it only shows the county that it resides in. For example, Gwinnett Hospital is in Gwinnett county, but I want to show the shape label of the zip code with all the other counties in the map, but with no name label. The counties should be nameless but colored, and Gwinnett Hospital will be the only hospital labled on the map. Does that make sense?

Thank you so much for your help.

Daniel

Hi Ramon,

I was able to recreate the map on my own with other data and it worked out well. I wanted to ask if you knew how to change the background color of the counties to be a lighter shade of blue?

Thanks.

Daniel