1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 2:41 PM by Allan Walker

Dual Axis Maps

Nilay Shah

i am using US map and doing dual axis .. so on the top of the map i need to color filled all 50 states and bottom map i need to show as bubble only 6 states.. is there a way to do that?

• 1. Re: Dual Axis Maps
          Allan Walker

Hi Nilay,

What data do you want to show...i.e. what states?

Could you do a screenshot of your record set?

Best Regards,

Allan

• 2. Re: Dual Axis Maps
            Nilay Shah

so here is the whole thing i wanna do

please look at the map

top Map i have 6 divisions which is pointing to 6 headquarters in 6 states.. which is i need

now on the below map i need to color the states that follow under the headquarters

for example northeast - headquarter is NJ and NY, MA, CT, and couple other states i need colored

same for central is pointing to Nebraska and i need

South Dakota
            Montana
            Illinois
            Utah
            Kentucky
            Texas
            Pennsylvania
            Tennessee
            District Of Columbia

these states colored

thanks in advance for your help

nilay

• 3. Re: Dual Axis Maps
              Allan Walker

Assuming you only have one headquarter in each state, replace the lat long in this file (linked here) with your lat/long.

Although, I'm unconvinced that is what you are wanting to do.  (I think) you want to create divisions (6) by grouping up the states.  If this is the case, then you could use this file to group them up. Then, you would blend that with your co-ordinates.

Best Regards,

Allan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Re: Dual Axis Maps
                Shawn Wallwork

There you go again Allan making things way more complicated than they need to be, sending him off to deal with the complexities of polygons, when a few groups will do the job just fine.

Nilay, if you are looking for something like this:

Dual Axis Map.png

Then take a look at the attached workbook. Feel free to ask follow up questions.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                  muthu.krishnan

Hi,

Go throught this link for dual axis map.

http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/tutorials/on-demand/wms-servers

Regards,

Muthu Krishnan. M

• 6. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                    Allan Walker

There you go again Allan making things way more complicated than they need to be, sending him off to deal with the complexities of polygons, when a few groups will do the job just fine

Hi Shawn,  There is a reason for using "complex" polygon mark type (and not the filled mark type):

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

All of these pictures are from your packaged workbook, unaltered.  If the OP was to use the USGS Tiger Shapefile, that has already been converted to Tableau Ready format, then they would get an accurate fill.  Even though the OP's divisions could be based on a conceptual map, the filled map mark type is clearly not of high enough resolution.

Also, by using ESRI SHPs in a "middle layer", I don't need to do dual axis.  I only need to plot the unit of analysis.

• 7. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                      Allan Walker

Muthu Krishnan wrote:

Hi,

Go throught this link for dual axis map.

http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/tutorials/on-demand/wms-servers

Regards,

Muthu Krishnan. M

Nope.  Instead (if you want to use dual-axis filled maps) here's a video from Andy Cotgreave

• 8. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                        Shawn Wallwork

Allan, so essentially you will never suggest to anyone asking a Tableau Mapping questions to ever use the native Tableau maps and fills? Or put differently you will always suggest to folks asking Mapping questions to use something other than Tableau's native maps and fills? Whether they asked about quality or not?

Is this the long and short of it?

--Shawn

EDIT: And BTW Nilay was looking for a map that included the entire US, and you decided he needed a polygon map because it shows the Maine coastline with better detail. This makes no sense. I think you're just grasping at straws to try and win an argument.

• 9. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                          Allan Walker

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

Allan, so essentially you will never suggest to anyone asking a Tableau Mapping questions to ever use the native Tableau maps and fills? Or put differently you will always suggest to folks asking Mapping questions to use something other than Tableau's native maps and fills? Whether they asked about quality or not?

Is this the long and short of it?

--Shawn

EDIT: And BTW Nilay was looking for a map that included the entire US, and you decided he needed a polygon map because it shows the Maine coastline with better detail. This makes no sense. I think you're just grasping at straws to try and win an argument.

Tableau maps (background layer): They aren't dynamic (e.g. you can't map historical boundaries).  You can't change the datum.  Therefore folks in Iceland (fK89), or Great Britain (British National Grid) get a "warped" view.  You can't change the axis, so you can't map the Arctic, even if you could change the datum. There are many other issues I could bring up, but those capabilities are fairly basic if you want to present geographical information accurately.

Tableau fills:  These vectors, as shown above, lead to misleading information, they aren't of high enough resolution (as shown above).

Let's put it another way - if this was a bar chart, currently, the filled map is a effectively a stacked bar that isn't filling 100%.  This is just outright inaccurate.

Therefore, I am suggesting to users to use a polygon mark type that starts life from an authoritative source (i.e. USGS) and converted to Tableau ready format.  The "entire US" includes the Maine Coastline, 100% of MA, 100% of DC, and 100% of the Bay Area, plus American Samoa etc. The features are defined in the DBF of the SHP file. The other work involved is matching the datum of the SHP to the Tableau Datum.

Long and short of it: I suggest accuracy.

• 10. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                            Shawn Wallwork

.... you will always suggest to folks asking Mapping questions to use something other than Tableau's native maps and fills? Is this the long and short of it?

So Allan your answer to my question is "Yes" then.

Allan your accuracy argument is a red herring. Given this logic all numbers in a bar chart need to be carried out to what? A thousand decimal places? A million? To attain your accuracy standard? Why should a map aggregated to the entire US need to have minuscule little filled bit for islands off the coast of Maine? Why force Tableau to carry all that overhead and load time when the human eye isn't going to see it.

You are suggesting that one-size fits all, and that size is NOT Tableau's native maps. I strongly disagree with you, your philosophy about 'accuracy' and your attitude toward Tableau's native maps! So you and I are going to continue to **** heads on this.

Allan I'll make you a deal. Each time you post a WMS or Shapefile or GIS solution to a mapping question, and I don't believe this is the best most efficient/effective solution, I will post the simpler native Tableau map solution. I will not disparage your solution, or list the reasons I don't believe you are providing the best solution. In fact for the sake of a peaceful forum I will refrain from mentioning you or your post; or responding to your posts in anyway. After all there is no need to continue to litigate this again and again. In return I ask you to extend the same courtesy.

Let's just agree to disagree. OK?

--Shawn

• 11. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                              Allan Walker

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

.... you will always suggest to folks asking Mapping questions to use something other than Tableau's native maps and fills? Is this the long and short of it?

So Allan your answer to my question is "Yes" then.

Allan your accuracy argument is a red herring. Given this logic all numbers in a bar chart need to be carried out to what? A thousand decimal places? A million? To attain your accuracy standard? Why should a map aggregated to the entire US need to have minuscule little filled bit for islands off the coast of Maine? Why force Tableau to carry all that overhead and load time when the human eye isn't going to see it.

There are mapping standards (OGC).  Tableau doesn't need to carry the overhead if you are using your own SHP middle layer.  The SHP is as accurate as needs to be - you can simplify the vertices if required.  This is now going away with Tableau 64-bit, PostGIS 64-bit and QGIS 64-bit, I'll post a video once I've cleared it with Francois Ajenstat (this video will only contain native Tableau mapping capabilities but is from the 8.1 beta program).

You are suggesting that one-size fits all, and that size is NOT Tableau's native maps. I strongly disagree with you, your philosophy about 'accuracy' and your attitude toward Tableau's native maps! So you and I are going to continue to **** heads on this.

Users have a choice.  I suspect enterprises just want to use their geo databases and connect their data to Tableau.

Allan I'll make you a deal. Each time you post a WMS or Shapefile or GIS solution to a mapping question, and I don't believe this is the best most efficient/effective solution, I will post the simpler native Tableau map solution. I will not disparage your solution, or list the reasons I don't believe you are providing the best solution. In fact for the sake of a peaceful forum I will refrain from mentioning you or your post; or responding to your posts in anyway. After all there is no need to continue to litigate this again and again. In return I ask you to extend the same courtesy.

Debate is healthy.  I'd prefer if you pitched in and helped users.  Conflict and tension is usually the best method of forming a resolution/solution, agreement frequently forms compromise.

Let's just agree to disagree. OK?

All of these issues will simply go away anyway when (Tableau) mapping capability is enhanced.

--Shawn

• 12. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                                Allan Walker

Using Tableau 64bit beta with USGS Tiger Census Tracts 2010 with pre-joined Demographic Data

In this video, you will see Tableau 64-bit is able to render million+ polygon marks with ease.

The SHP file was downloaded from the authoritative site (USGS), datum and vertices simplified using QGIS (although I could have done this in Shapetotab), then run through an Alteryx script (again, I could have used Shapetotab).  This file includes over 300 measures (I show 3 here in a dynamic measure swapper) and I have included a filter action on the dashboard.

The polygon fills the entire US territories, and I can analyse using both the choropleth and the bar chart (I have a Top filter applied to the bar chart).

The only drawback with using polygons in 32 bit Tableau was that the number of marks generated frequently caused out of memory issues to occur.  Now, with the advent of 64-bit, we have a mapping library (GDAL), an editor (QGIS) and a visualization/BI program (Tableau 64-bit) that can handle this kind of analysis.

60,000,000 marks? Not a problem. 64-bit makes this possible. See the circle in black in the bottom left of this screenshot.  This is ALL of OpenFlights.org data with Great Circle Arcs (optomized for antipodean routes and colored by carrier): you can clearly see the issue with the Arctic Circle, as the built in datum doesn't support it.

OpenFlights.org 64Bit Tableau.png

Best Regards,

Allan

• 13. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                                  Shawn Wallwork

Now all you need to do is post a workbook so we can all marvel in your wonderful work! (And demonstrate some of the straight-jacket issues using custom polygons creates.)

--Shawn

• 14. Re: Dual Axis Maps
                                    Allan Walker

Shawn,

That's the whole point of the Tableau Mapping Repository: the TDEs are pre-made.  The OpenFlights packaged workbook is 1.5GB.  The Census Tracts is about 250MB.

The ESRI SHP files have already been converted to Tableau ready format polygon mark type; all that a user would need to do is blend (actually left outer join) their data to the feature file: hardly a complex operation.

I'd gracefully suggest that the polygon mark type frees the user: they can merge shapefiles - for example, the school districts, join their data to a predefined and standardized geoID, overlap polygons (like the ZCTA file), create their own hierarchies (Global, country, state/province, census block/tracts, zipcodes) and use ISO, FIPS, NUTS or whatever standards.

But then again, for most analysis, I'd use the circle (point) mark type, and use the SHP as a middle layer with an alternative background layer.

Another example, of which you are familiar:

Logan, Utah

Tableau Zip Codes filled map mark type Tableau v8 32 bit, Urban Mapping background layer - 348 Zips unrecognized

Zip Codes1.png

USGS Tiger ZCTA 2010, Tableau 8.1 64bit OpenStreetMap background layer - no nulls, same dataset and overlapping polygons.

ZCTA.png

Best Regards,

Allan

1 2 Previous Next