3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 5:03 PM by Aaron Clancy

Workbooks/Dashboards are not refreshed with DataExtract in Tableau Server

dhanabala.jegannathan

Hi,

I have a workbook W1 and It uses a data extract named TDE1. I have published the extract and workbook to the tableau server and scheduled the TDE1 to refresh the data every hour.

The TDE1 data source gets refreshed every hour but when i looked at the published workbook in the server, the workbook is not getting refreshed with the updated data in the extract.

Can you please tell why workbook is not getting refreshed with the refreshed dataextract

Thanks,

Singam

• 1. Re: Workbooks/Dashboards are not refreshed with DataExtract in Tableau Server
          Aaron Clancy

Are you confirming that the extracts are refreshing "Successfully" in the background tasks pane of the Maintenance window .

Test by appending ?:refresh=yes  at the end of the URL for a dashboard.

If this is a major concern you might need to adjust your cache settings for Tableau Server

(Set to More often or a really low "Balanced:" value for minutes.)

Start>All Programs>Tableau Server X. > Configure Tableau Server

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 4.43.27 PM.png

• 2. Re: Workbooks/Dashboards are not refreshed with DataExtract in Tableau Server
            dhanabala.jegannathan

Hi Aaron,

Awesome!! Thanks for the update.

It really works.!!

As you said, i have refreshed the extract and the background task show it as successfully completed. Then i refreshed my URL without suffixing ?:Refresh=yes. The result is the workbook does show the updated values.

Then i suffixed the URL with ?:Refresh=yes and hit the URL, now I could see the updated data in dashboard.

It is really interesting thing. So changing the Cache setting from Configuration panel would resolve the issue i guess. But one thing i am worried is, will this Caching technique will degrade the server performance by any cause?

Thanks,

Singam

• 3. Re: Workbooks/Dashboards are not refreshed with DataExtract in Tableau Server
              Aaron Clancy

Yeah it's a toss up.  In order to leverage caching you have to account that your data might not be up to date on the viz but it's a case by case basis.  If you have low concurrency then leveraging caching isn't as important.  I have a similar issue in that I have time sensitive data updated every hour and the dashboards need to immediately reflect the change.  I embed my vizes in a web portal with ?:refresh=yes in all of my dashboards where this is needed.  I don't have to adjust my cache settings because I can explicitly specify which dashboards that I don't want to leverage caching for.