5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 7:33 PM by Jessica Isaacson

Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?

Steve Roth

I have a dashboard (actually created by someone else for me) that requires users to enter several fields of information. Periodically, the Tableau Public server seems to push a refresh of the dashboard, blowing away all the user's entries. Is there a way to prevent this?

• 1. Re: Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?
          Ramon Martinez

Hi Steve,

Your scenario is really confusing to me.

What do you mean by saying:

I have a dashboard (actually created by someone else for me) that requires users to enter several fields of information.

The information you refer to are, by any chance, selection of items in filters or parameters?

If you refer to update the data source used by the dashboard, we are in a different story.  

Assuming your workbook is published to Tableau Public Server, it is connected to an extract of your data source. To my understanding, you are able to update your original data source but to update the extract previously published to Tableau Public Server you need to update the extract locally and then republish your workbook (dashboard) to Tableau Public Server.

Could you give more information about your scenario to try to find a solution or answer to your question?

Are you able to provide the URL to you dashboard on Tableau Public Server to have a better idea of you scenario?

Best,

Ramon

• 2. Re: Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?
            Ben Neville

Have you checked to see if the "Pause Automatic Updates" option remedies this issue?

• 3. Re: Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?
              Steve Roth

Ramon, Ben, thanks.

Ramon, not based on static data. All provided by user. The viz builds the data table and displays.

Ben, I see the Pause/Resume Automatic Updates icon briefly on load, but it vanishes. Is there a way for my author to turn on its display in Tableau Public, and even better default it to Off?

Thx,

Steve

• 4. Re: Re: Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?
                Ramon Martinez

Hi Steve,

You mentioned

...not based on static data.

If I understanding well, the data is not persistent, as it is entered by the user interacting with the viz and the logic behind the viz builds the info to be displayed.

That has the implication that the entered data and the information generated is available for an specific session. I'm understanding well?

On top on that, Tableau refresh or makes queries to the data source depending on actions done by the user (filters, selection, click, hover) so that is impacting your data.

Best,

Ramon 

• 5. Re: Can you turn off automatic refresh for dashboards served from Tableau Public?
                  Jessica Isaacson

I have a related scenario, which I believe boils down to the same essential question - how to stop a chart object from refreshing?

My tableau chart is served from an internal instance of Tableau Server, and embedded in a web page on a different server.

The user passes a couple of parameters through a web form; the output is something like "show the last 10 instances of X batch job." (Let's say X batch job runs every 5 minutes.) So the web page (ColdFusion, but I think that's irrelevant) does a query to get the latest 10 records, and displays some text information about each of them. Simultaneously the Tableau chart is generated for the latest 10 records.

Ten minutes later, the user hovers over the chart, and it refreshes to show a different 10 records from the ones still displayed on the web page.  I'd like it if it didn't refresh, unless they refreshed the whole page. Is it possible to stop that particular refresh action?

object class="tableauViz" width="1000" height="275" style="display:none;"

param name="filter" value="JobName=X&MaxRows=10"

param name="name" value="RunHistory;Sheet1"

param name="host_url" value="https%3A%2F%2Ftableau.company.com%2F"