1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 8:59 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Is there a list of advanced functions that become available once an extract has been executed?

Larry Keller

Is there a cheat sheet or list of capabilities that become available to a desktop user when an Extract is executed?

• 1. Re: Is there a list of advanced functions that become available once an extract has been executed?
          Jonathan Drummey

That would be a great thing, Larry! A key extra part of the question is "compared to what original data source?"

Pretty much all my Tableau experience is with JET sources, here's what I know for JET data sources (Excel, Access, text files):

- extract gains COUNTD, MEDIAN, PERCENTILE (new in 8.1), using IN/OUT of Sets (new in 8.0)

- ROUND() can return different results, particularly for STR(ROUND()) when applied to aggregates

- SIGN() can return different results

- extract loses RAWSQL functions (true for all data sources)

Also, I've found differences when moving between a JET source, an extract, and an extract published as a Tableau Server published data source, I'm not aware of any that exist today but my experiences made me limit my use of published data sources.

Jonathan