1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 10:10 AM by Matthew McLaughlin

Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server

Linda Vold

Hi.

I am new to Tableau, and I am a bit confused when it comes to twb, twbx and extract.

What I want to do is to save a twbx in Desktop and publish it to Server.

On the Server I want to automatically refresh the twbx (weekly or monthly).

I also want to automatically download the twbx to a network drive (using get function in tabcmd)

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
          Ramon Martinez

Hi Linda,

Working with Tableau, you always create a workbook. The workbook is a text file in XML format containing all the definitions and settings of the data connection, views, dashboards, etc. This file allows the persistence of all the work we are doing with Tableau in a specific project and it has the fiel extension .twb.

When the workbook (.twb file) is published to Tableau Server, Tableau compact (zipped) it and assign to it the file extension .twbx This compacted file is called package workbook.

Tableau Desktop also allows you to export the workbook to a package workbook without publishing to the server. Check the menu File option Export Package Workbook...

An extract is a new file with extension .tde that is built by Tableau Desktop from your data source. So this is a separated file, let's say a new data source, with a specific data format optimized to increase performance and compacted, so it is very efficient to work with it in term of query response speed and storage.  

The extract file can be also published to Tableau Server and you can set an schedule indicating Tableau Sever to refresh it in a specific frequency over time.

This means that once you publish your workbook connected to an extract in the server, you don't need to republish it to keep it updated. The workbook always will show the updated data due to it is connected to an extract in the server that is updated by a schedule you defined when you publish the extract file to the sever.

Now going to your question:

To automatically refresh the twbx in the server, you have to define a update schedule defining the infrequence over time (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)

You don't need to make copies of the workbook, just keep the original one in your desktop, file server or any safety storage.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Ramon

• 2. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
            Toby Erkson

"When the workbook (.twb file) is published to Tableau Server, Tableau compact (zipped) it and assign to it the file extension .twbx This compacted file is called package workbook."

A packaged workbook (.twbx) also contains the data!  This is why it's necessary to include a packaged workbook in the forum when asking questions about a viz one is working on.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
              Jonathan Drummey

Ramon, my understanding is a little different - you wrote:

"When the workbook (.twb file) is published to Tableau Server, Tableau compact (zipped) it and assign to it the file extension .twbx This compacted file is called package workbook."

When I publish a .twb to Tableau Server, I have the option to include the data or not. If I include the data, it's effectively a .twbx which is static. If I don't include the data, then Tableau Server can refresh the data (whether from an extract or not).

• 4. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                Ramon Martinez

Hi Jonathan,

What I mean is that during the process of publishing a workbook (.twb) to Tableau Server, the workbook is always zipped (essentially, it is converted to .twbx) independently of the type of data connection. In some cases the data is embedded in it and in other cases don't based in the type of connection.

Some scenarios:

1.- the workbook is connected to local data source (exec, csv, access, txt, etc.), when publishing it to the server, the file is zipped (converted to .twbx) and the data is embedded within the workbook.

2.- the workbook is live connected to a SQL server database, when publishing it to the server, the workbook file is also zipped but in this case the data is not embedded in it.

3.- the workbook is connected live to a SQL server database, then the data is extracted (a .tde is created locally in your PC or in any other share drive), when the workbook is published to the server, the file is zipped and the extract file is published to tableau server, where you have the option of setting ans schedule to refresh it.

4.- the workbook is connected live to a data source previously published to Tableau Sever (essentially a .tde in the server, note that in this case, the data source already has an schedule to keep it updated from the original source), when the workbook is published to the server, the workbook file is zipped, the data source is not embedded as there is a live connect to it. The data is updated based on there own scheduling.

This is my understanding, but it may be incomplete or even wrong.

Thanks,

Ramon

• 5. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                  Jonathan Drummey

I don't think there's a difference between #1 and #2. When I have a live

connection to a JET datasource and publish the workbook without including

the files, it remains a live connection, which seems to be the same

behavior as your #2.

For #3, there's still the key as to whether we are including the files or

not. If we include the files, then the extract is included with the file

and will not update, whereas if we don't include the files then the extract

stays where it is and can be refreshed by Tableau Server.

I'm curious, where does your understanding that the .twb is always zipped

come from?

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Ramon Martinez <

• 6. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                    Ramon Martinez

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for the clarification.

You are rights. I've just double checked with some of the workbooks in the server. I downloaded a workbook with a live connection to a data source in MS SQL Server from Tableau Server and it is not packaged (not zipped). I don't know why I got the idea that all workbooks published to the server were zipped. 

Thanks again for calling my attention on this and I'm sorry for any confusion I created with my comment.

Best regards,

Ramon

• 7. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                      Linda Vold

Ok, thanks.

I need the workbook to be packaged on the server (so it can be opened in Reader), and I want the data to be refreshed automatically.

Is it possible?

Or is it possible to save the workbook (twb) and the extract(tbe) separately and then create a package (twbx) automatically on the sever?

• 8. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                        . Indumon

Hi Linda,

I need the workbook to be packaged on the server (so it can be opened in Reader), and I want the data to be refreshed automatically.

Is it possible?

Yes, It is possible.

How?

In theory Tableau .TWB and .TWBX have got two components 1. data extract/data connection 2. XML definition of workbook.So you just have to ensure that data source is refreshed automatically.

To achieve this for .TWBX in the Tableau server please follow the below steps.

Step 1. Open the TWBX file in Tableau Desktop and publish the data source to the Tableau server.

Step 2: Change the TWBX data source from existing to the published data source in Tableau server

Step 3. Publish the TWBX file to the Tableau Server.

Now the packaged workbook is pointing to the server data source, and we need to ensure that server data source refreshes automatically.

Step 4. Go to Tableau server, choose the published data source and schedule for full refresh ( as per your preferred interval)

Once you are done with above steps, you can use TABCMD GET command to download the TWBX.

Hope this will help you.

thanks

• 9. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                          Shawn Wallwork

Indumon, have you actually tested this to make sure it works? If so, thanks good to know.

--Shawn

• 10. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                            . Indumon

I have tested the publish and refresh part.

Tabcmd part I couldn't because i am @ home.  TABCMD Get -f should work. PDF i used to do

I will update the post soon after confirmation

• 12. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                              Linda Vold

I followed the steps, but when I try to open the twbx-file in Reader I get an errormessage.

Please let me know if you get it to work!

Skjermbilde.PNG.png

• 13. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                                . Indumon

Hi Linda,

Does your data source got multiple tables?

http://community.tableau.com/thread/124518

I will do some more experiments and update you.

thanks

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Linda Vold <

• 14. Re: Is it possible to automatically refresh a packaged workbook on the server
                                  Linda Vold

In the datasource that I published to the server I only have one table.

1 2 Previous Next