8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2013 3:18 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Icon for interactivity

John Mogielnicki

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any favorite icons to indicate interactivity to the end-user.  We are finding that it is important to have a visual cue that says to users "this chart is interactive, click to filter."  Especially since this type of feature is not available in the reports that our users have been used to (excel).  But we're struggling with the best shorthand for this.  Seems like something in the title of a chart would be ideal, we were thinking maybe a lowercase i to stand for interactivity.

Any and all ideas are welcome. 

Cheers,

John

• 1. Re: Icon for interactivity
          kevin.lynch

Hi John,

One option would be to include a sheet that has a shape based on a dummy calculated field, for example where the calculation is simply - "Information". And then include a tooltip on this to explain the report to the users.

Screen below demos it, details in the attachment.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but this can be kinda neat

Kevin

Sample.png

• 2. Re: Icon for interactivity
            Shawn Wallwork

Not sure 'i' will be read as 'interactivity'; probably will be read as 'information'. Either way when the hover over it they should get a tooltip full of stuff encouraging them to click things, and change things. You could also create a link to a UI tip sheet like I put together. Also this QT has a couple of icons you might find useful.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Icon for interactivity
              kevin.lynch

Shawn's second link is a much better version of what I was saying above, so refer to his one!

Really good guide and nice icons too

• 4. Re: Icon for interactivity
                Shawn Wallwork

Kevin, great minds and all that.

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Icon for interactivity
                  John Mogielnicki

This is grea tinformation, thanks to you both.  However, I was thinking less about an information icon that will allow a user to hover or click for more information, or a UI tip sheet (although both are fantastic, and I will probably end up adding them to my dashboards), but rather something to put into the title of a chart or graph that is being used as an action filter.  So, if I have a map that displays some data, but is also clickable to filter the rest of the dashboard, I want to let the user know that the map is a clickable filter.

Would love to know any thoughts. 

John

• 6. Re: Icon for interactivity
                    Shawn Wallwork

John it's tough getting some people to click stuff; others go around double-clicking everything and screw well-designed vizzes by dbl-click zooming in by accident. The only thing I've found that seems to work is to be very explicit somewhere in the upper right corner of a map (now that we can float stuff), saying something like:

"Click marks (areas) of the map to filter charts."

Keep it small and grey, because once they get it, they don't want it always starting at them. I've also used:

"Hover over mark to get more information"

"Click a mark and see what happens"

"Click a mark to highlight charts"

Etc.

--Shawn

• 7. Re: Icon for interactivity
                      John Mogielnicki

Thanks for your thoughts Shawn.  I've had similar issues.  I wish there was a way to turn some of those features off.  Another one I've had issues with is the little "+" sign next to dates.  Sometimes I don't want a user to be able to drill into a date, and when they do it breaks the carefully constructed view I've created.  There are workarounds involving calculated fields but they're cumbersome.

We're also planning to hold some training sessions to get our end users up to speed on the specific interaction capabilities of Tableau.

John

• 8. Re: Icon for interactivity
                        Shawn Wallwork

I think the training session is the way to go; stressing: "You can't break anything the back button can't fix! So click-away."

--Shawn