3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 6:24 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Custom Geocoding Extending Cities Issue

Brian Hirt

I am trying to import some custom geocoding to cover a few small towns in the US.  Attached is the table I'm trying to import.  I've tried a few variations on the column headers, including "State/Province" instead of "State", but it seems to have no effect.  When I upload, I don't get any error messages or anything, but Tableau still doesn't generate Lat/Long for these cities.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  I'm using an OEM version of Tableau Desktop v 8.0.0.

• 1. Re: Custom Geocoding Extending Cities Issue
          Shawn Wallwork

Brian, I'm curious where these csv with xls extensions are coming from? This is the second one posted in two days. To get the file to load properly delete the ".xls" and then connect to it as a text file. Or you can bring the csv file into Excel and then save it as a proper xls file and connect to that.

See attached.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Custom Geocoding Extending Cities Issue
            Brian Hirt

I don't know where the csv.xls came from - it is just a straight csv file on my PC.  Perhaps something weird about how the forum uploads the file if you've seen it before.  I tried saving as a regular .xls file and re-importing the geocoding, but I got the same results (no error message, but no geocoding either).

I'm unable to open the .twbx file you attached - my special OEM version of Tableau cannot connect to Excel data sources.  I should be able to open if you create extracts of everything and repackage.  Are you saying my geocoding worked for you fine for you as is without changing the headers or anything?

Thanks,

Brian

• 3. Re: Re: Custom Geocoding Extending Cities Issue
              Shawn Wallwork

Brian, when I open the file with the xls extension using Excel I get all the data in a single column. When I delete the xls and open it in Excel I get all the columns properly laid out in separate columns, which can be brought into Tableau without a problem. I can also connect to the csv file as a text file from Tableau without a problem.

File with extract attached.

--Shawn