5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 8:14 AM by Matt Lutton

Coloring an isolated column

Peter Unger

I am creating a month by month summary of my school demographics.  The first column has the target for our enrollment and then the columns to the right have each months results.  My goal is to be able to highlight the target in yellow and then the current month only in green.  I do not know how to isolate specific columns for coloring.

I know how to color the highest number or the lowest number.  I know how to color all numbers below or higher than a certain number, but I do not know how to color an entire column (regardless of the number).

But, the idea for this project is that I will have the months of Sept through May and I want the column with our target highlighted and the current month only.

Can anyone helps on this with a calculated field?  Thank you.

~ Peter

• 1. Re: Coloring an isolated column
          Matt Lutton

Without seeing your data, a screenshot, or a packaged workbook, I'm not sure how to create a result that matches your data.  However, I will attach a simple example with a calculated field that highlights the current month.  The calculation is:

IF Month(Date) = MONTH(today()) then "Current" else "Not" end

Hope this helps.  If you need more help, please post a sample packaged workbook.  You could mock up some data pretty easily in Excel and use that rather than your production workbook.  Then let us know what you want the result to look like.

Cheers

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Coloring an isolated column
            Peter Unger

Thank you so much.  I found some code on another post that actually worked...the code is

if [Month]='Target' then 'Target'

elseif [Month]='Sept' then 'Current Month'

else 'white'

end

This is perfect...as I can keep the target highlighted and then each month I just change the month to the current month. 

month coloring.png.jpg

This is great...but I know the next question will be "is there a way to color the title "Target" and the current month  "Sept" with the same color?  Solving this would be the icing on the cake.

• 3. Re: Coloring an isolated column
              Matt Lutton

You should change:

elseif [Month]='Sept' then 'Current Month'

to ELSEIF Month(Date) = MONTH(today()) then "Current Month"

Otherwise, it will not be dynamic based on the current month.

When you say "title", are you referring to the column header?  If so, I do not believe this is possible.  You can do some custom formatting with tooltips/titles/subtitles, though, if that might help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Coloring an isolated column
                Peter Unger

You are awesome and I really appreciate your help.  That worked as well.

THANK YOU!!!

• 5. Re: Coloring an isolated column
                  Matt Lutton

No problem.  Cheers