8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 1:34 PM by Ramon Martinez

Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?

Jerry Wetherall

A few weeks ago, I uploaded some visualizations to Tableau Public, both tables and multi-panel graphs. Besides providing my own methods of interactivity (menus, parameters, etc.) Tableau allowed the user to sort on columns of the tables, and in the graphs you could exclude or keep-only a selected member of a multi-panel table or graph (i.e., selected member of a dimension). In the case of the table, the column totals would recalculate after a panel was removed. Then you could print or export the modified viz. This provided great flexibility for the user.  Now it appears the sorting is still working but the ability to keep/exclude a selected panel in the graph or table has been eliminated.  Does anybody know why this is happening?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
          Ramon Martinez

Dear Jerry,

Could you provide the URL to see at least one of the data visualization published to Tableau Public in order to check the cause of the problem.

I've just check some of my vizzes published in Tableau Public and the ability to Keep Only/Exclude is working properly.

Best,

Ramon 

• 2. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
            Jerry Wetherall

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for replying! These views are still awaiting approval for public release on Tableau Public. We're using Tab Pub to to develop them. But if you wish, I'd be happy to send you the URL via email. I'm at Jerry.Wetherall@noaa.gov.

Jerry

• 3. Re: Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
              Ramon Martinez

Hi Jerry

I've just email you. I believe that my email is accessible in my profile: martiner@paho.org

Best,

Ramon

• 4. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
                Ramon Martinez

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for sending me the URL to access your dataviz in Tableau Public. I download it and I've detected that the option Include command buttons in the Edit Tooltip dialogue is unchecked. That option have to be check marked in order the tooltip to show the tools buttons.

To have the Keep Only/Exclude functionality in the tooltip you need to check the option "Include command buttons" at the bottom of the Edit Tooltip dialogue

To display the Edit Tooltip dialogue, go to your view and click on the mark Tooltip.

Best regards,

Ramon 

• 5. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
                  Jerry Wetherall

Hi Ramon,

Thanks very much for looking at this.  Yes, I had purposely turned off the keep/exclude for tooltips, so the tooltips in the viz were behaving as I desired.  However, what my issue is relates to the right click functionality for row headers, including keep/exclude options.  This functionality is present both in the source workbook and was working fine in the uploaded visualizations on Tableau Public as of a few weeks ago when I last checked.  I exercised the keep/exclude options several times over a period of weeks to be sure they were working. But sometime in the last few weeks (during which I wasn't checking Tableau Public) that right click functionality disappeared, so I no longer have the option of keeping/excluding parts of the view (based on selected row headers).  This is independent of turning on/off the options for tooltips.  I'm totally puzzled. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience.  I'm hoping someone at Tableau will provide some insights.

Cheers,

Jerry

• 6. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
                    Ramon Martinez

Hi Jerry,

Thank you so much for all the details. I get it now.

I played with your workbook and I realize that if the option "Include command buttons" in the Edit Tool dialogue is not checked, the Include Only/Exclude functionality does not appear in row headers neither in the data points of the chart.

I have verified this behavior checking the box mark "Include command buttons" in the view Effort_FishingArea and publishing the workbook to Tableau Public. Under this condition the Include Only/Exclude is working properly.

Please, try to reproduce what I've described by your self. Again, It seems that in order to keep the Keep Only/Exclude functionality in the tooltip of row header, it is required also to check the box mark Include command buttons.

Best

Ramon 

• 7. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
                      Jerry Wetherall

Hi Ramon,

I followed your directions and tracked down all the issues. Turns out I had some cases where I had unchecked the tooltip command buttons and other cases were I hadn't and was therefore seeing different behaviors with exclude/keep only on the headers --- but not understanding why.  You helped me see how this is working, and that the "right click" functionality we enjoy in the workbook doesn't get carried over to the web posting.  Anyway, I want the user to have the exclude/keep only option for row dimensions while having clean tooltips on the graph marks, so I'll be adding a row dimension filter (to replace the right-click option in the workbook.)

Thanks for your help!

Jerry

• 8. Re: Where is 'Exclude/Keep Only' functionality in Tableau Public viz?
                        Ramon Martinez

Hi Jerry,

Thank you. I'm glad my directions help you in understanding how the Keep Only/Exclude functionality works.

Let me take the opportunity to say that your are visualizing and interesting theme. I hope it will be cleared for publication soon.

Best regards,

Ramon