3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 7:03 AM by Ken Patton

Unable to Number of Server Users Due to Technical Issue?

. Tbelden@Energygps.Com

Our Server maintenance is due.  We need to reduce the number of users under our server license.  I was surprised when my Customer Success Manager informed me

"I understand you want to decrease the quantity of your Server Interactors and Viewers. Unfortunately, the license was created under a single server key which if broken apart on the backend could cause downtime, technical errors, and possible loss of data. As a policy we mitigate risk and do not decrement."

Has anyone had this response before?  Is it in the fine print?  Seems like their technical challenge is reaching into my coffers.

• 1. Re: Unable to Number of Server Users Due to Technical Issue?
          Toby Erkson

We're on a core-based license (love it) so I'm not very familiar with the other licensing forms, however, that doesn't sound right to me.

Is this "Customer Success Manager" a Tableau employee or someone employed by your company?

If a non-Tableau employee then contact Tableau directly.  You should have a Tableau sales consultant and/or account manager.

If it is a Tableau employee then get details about it.  If you're getting push-back then go above them to the next person in the chain of command.  Be polite but firm and provide details.

• 2. Re: Unable to Number of Server Users Due to Technical Issue?
            . Tbelden@Energygps.Com

Thanks for the comment, Toby.  Believe it or not the "Customer Success Manager" is my Tableau representative.  I was a little surprised when I spoke on the phone to my rep and he essentially gave me the company line with no acknowledgment that this seems pretty unfriendly towards customers.  It has been escalated, but I haven't heard any response yet.

• 3. Re: Unable to Number of Server Users Due to Technical Issue?
              Ken Patton

It might sound like a hokey excuse, but it is quite true that if you had more Users defined in the Server than the Max Users enabled by the license, the Server could go into a major and unrecoverable failure.

Downgrading a Named User license is not something the licensing scheme was designed for. To go smaller, you'd be better off to look at buying a new smaller license (as opposed to trying to downgrade in place), which would probably overwhelm any possible cost savings.