5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 7:34 PM by Dan Aspinall

Merge two worksheets in to one

Dan Aspinall

Hi folks,

I've created two worksheets using the same data source.  The first uses a number of joins to get a "validated" flag.  The second is simply a count of accounts, some of which will be validated.  On a dashboard I get the correct values for each worksheet.

Whatever I try to do to get the two measures in the same graph, I always seem to get the same number of results - as if the count of accounts is only matching what is already calculated as having a validated flag.  Is there an easy way to combine the two?  I'm using a date field that is common to both as the dimension.

Both looking good here:

combine worksheet dashboard.PNG.png

By dropping account_id on to y axis or adding the measure as a row

combin worksheet.PNG.png

I have the feeling I'm missing something pretty fundamental here but have scoured the knowledge base and haven't come up with anything relevant as yet.

Appreciated any assistance.

• 1. Re: Merge two worksheets in to one
          Prashant Sharma

Hi Dan,

You just have to put two measures in row & right click on the second measure & choose "Dual Axis" option. If this will not work for you please share a sample packaged workbook.

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Merge two worksheets in to one
            Shawn Wallwork

Or in your second screenshot change the Account ID pill from CNT(ACCOUNT_ID) to COUNTD(ACCOUNT_ID) like you have it set up in the first screenshot. That should produce the different values and separate the two lines without resorting to a dual axis chart.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Merge two worksheets in to one
              Dan Aspinall

Thanks heaps for the help but I think I need to explain more about the data.

The "validated" measure is using quite a few filters, to bring back a certain status id, remove quite a few email addresses that are not needed, and another value "type_id".  So what is happening is when I drag the other value "account_id count (distinct)", because my validated measure has an account_id associated with it, I'm only seeing account_ids that match what has been created in the filter.  So if I add dual axis, I just get two identical lines plotted.  How do I distinguish that on my second measure I don't want any of the filters?  Sorry if this is obvious, new to the product etc etc...

The workbook is full of customer details so can't really publish a copy here.  Another screen shot showing the duplicate value though:

dual axis.PNG.png

I really appreciate the responses.  Definitely getting closer to where I need to go with Tableau.

• 4. Re: Re: Merge two worksheets in to one
                Prashant Sharma

Hi Dan,

1)Put the filter in filter section & click on "ALL". I took up a sample data & put "Region" in Filter section & choose "All" button.

2) Create a calculate field in which use

if [Region] == 'Central' then [Sales] end

This provides me Sales for only "Central" Region.

3) For second measure i put Profit. First it is showing only a single line but put Measure Name in Detail section. If you are still getting a line which is one above another then from Profit -> Go to "'Edit Axis" & click on "Synchronize Axis " . This thing will show two lines with filter is only on "Sales" not on "Profit". Attaching a file & arrange Measure Names & Measure Values according to where i put. Please let me know if this will not work for you.

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

• 5. Re: Merge two worksheets in to one
                  Dan Aspinall

Hi there.

Thanks so much again for the information.  I've been through what you suggested as well as I can but synchroize axis is greyed out, as the two sets of data are not the same as far as Tableau is aware.  I'll have to look at this:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/synchronizing-axes

To see if I can get the two to be displayed.

I think that'll do what I'm trying to do anyway.  Will report back.

Cheers!

Dan.