4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 12:10 PM by rachel.sniatynsky

How do I look at my data to clean it in Tableau?

rachel.sniatynsky

I have a .csv file too big for Excel so I need to clean it up in Tableau, but I can't figure out how to do it.  I don't need to visualize anything yet, I just want to see a spreadsheet to be able to name variables and clean up the data underneath them.

• 1. Re: How do I look at my data to clean it in Tableau?
          Joshua Milligan

Rachel,

How big is the csv that Excel won't handle it?

You can definitely try opening the file in Tableau and start looking at the fields and underlying data (assuming the file isn't so large that the Microsoft JET engine driver can't handle it -- because Tableau, for now, uses the JET driver for text files/Excel/Access).  You can rename fields in Tableau by right clicking the field in the Data window -- however, you are just modifying a metadata layer maintained by Tableau, not the field names in the file itself.  Tableau will not allow you to write data in the underlying source -- but it is a great tool for being able to explore the data, see if there is anything that needs to be fixed, and even gives you the flexibility of doing some data cleaning by writing calculations.

If you have any additional specific questions, I'd be happy to take a look!

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: How do I look at my data to clean it in Tableau?
            rachel.sniatynsky

Josh, my file is over a million records.  I can see how to rename different columns of data but I need to see the columns to name them properly.  Is there no way to see a simple view of a spreadsheet in Tableau?

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 3. Re: How do I look at my data to clean it in Tableau?
              Joshua Milligan

Amy,

If you are able to open the file in Tableau, then look for the button highlighted below in the Data window (right next to Dimensions).  It should allow you to view the underlying data.

1.png

Regards,

Joshua

• 4. Re: How do I look at my data to clean it in Tableau?
                rachel.sniatynsky

Thank you, that is helpful.  However, I am surprised that even using Tableau and Excel together there is not an easy way for me to clean data that consists of over a million records.  Is there yet another platform that would enable me to do this easily?  I suppose the answer would be stats software.

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.