7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 1:43 PM by Cyril Roethlisberg

Help with map features

Cyril Roethlisberg

- Can I add layers to maps? I have a list of recipients by zip codes from 2 different facilities, can I have a map display the recipeint locations in one color from one ship from and another color from the other ship from?

- Also, can I add 'pushpins' or other fixed points to show points of interest?

• 1. Re: Help with map features
          Shawn Wallwork

Cyril, both of these are doable in Tableau. If you post some sample data we can show you how.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Re: Help with map features
            Cyril Roethlisberg

Shawn, in the attached file are a number of shipments from (Ship City, column U) Memphis and Newark. I'd like to map them by recipient zip code (Recip ZIP, column AB) let's say Memphis in red and Newark in blue for example.

Then I have 8 DHL Hubs in Germany I'd like to indicate on a map with a pushpin or other symbol in

Hanover

Dusseldorf

Cologne

Frankfort

Stuttgart

Munich

Nuremburg

Leipzig

Thanks,

C.

• 3. Re: Re: Re: Help with map features
              Shawn Wallwork

That was a bit of fun. See attached.

In the first one I had to manufacture a State field since your data didn't have one. After that I used a dual axis map to show both recipient zips and shipping cities. For the German map I went to Google Images and found a map pin. I then put this into the My Tableau Repository\Shapes\Arrows. After reloading the shapes it should appear in the Arrows (toward the bottom).

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Help with map features
                Allan Walker

Hi Cyril,

Here's how I would approach this: (for the whole dataset, not just limited to the initial requirement)

I'd get a start [Ship from] x,y and an end [Recip] x,y by saving the Excel book as CSV and importing into ESRI, and geocoding the addresses.  This will give you a point mark type.  I'd then use [Ship Dt] as path order if you want a hub-and spoke line mark type, but I would go point -> line great arc circle in ESRI to get the lines and distance first.

(Optional)

Then, I'd head off to geonames and download the postcode data, but you are going to have to do some very funky custom geocoding - or, be able to build voroni/Thessien SHP polygons and merge these in Tableau format (i.e. path order).  Then, you would have to join your tables to the DBF file of the polygons.  This is an extra step, but it's the only way you would be able to get [Recip] Zip code to work, as Tableau doesn't have these boundaries for every country.

After all that, you would end up with a dual axis map.  Personally, I'd do all of this as a background layers rather than merge the SHP files (so I have my custom boundaries) and then put the point mark on top for my foreground analysis.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 5. Re: Help with map features
                  Shawn Wallwork

I think he was looking for something a lot simpler than all that; I could be wrong.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Help with map features
                    Allan Walker

Shawn,

The data got me thinking beyond the initial requirement scope

Best Regards,

Allan

• 7. Re: Re: Re: Help with map features
                      Cyril Roethlisberg

Shawn and Allan, thanks for the help ... Shawn is correct, I am looking for the simpler solution. Now I'll go see if I can duplicate it on my own.

Thanks,

C.