6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 8:04 AM by Steve Gesuale

Formatting of Legend options

Steve Gesuale

Hi,

I've got a simple table outlining status of deliverables: Late, OK, Complete. I'd like to ask help w two issues on the legend:

1) The table uses both shape and color. Is there a way to combine the two legends into one showing both?

2) "OK" indicates the deliverable is neither due nor complete so I've hidden it on the table, but it still shows up on the legend. Any way to remove it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve

• 1. Re: Formatting of Legend options
          . Indumon

Hi Steve,

If I understand your requirement correctly, you can hide "OK" status from legend by right click and hide

Hide Legend.png

• 2. Re: Formatting of Legend options
            Jim Wahl

Hi Steve,

There are two ways to do this: modify the custom shapes in Tableau or use another worksheet as your legend.

The first option might be the easiest, since Tableau's built-in shapes for KPI already include a green check mark. You can add a red circle by navigating to your local Tableau repository---by default in ...\My Documents\My Tableau Repository\Shapes\KPI---and adding a red circle. I opened the green circle (11.png) and used Photoshop to replace the color to red, and save it as 14.png.

Now when you return to Tableau, remove Status from the Color button. Then click the pull down menu in the Status legend and select Edit Shape > Reload Shapes and you should see the red circle.

To hide "OK" status, I just click on OK in the Status legend and selected Exclude.

2013-10-05 11-04-32.png

Option 2 is to create another worksheet that acts as a legend. Then use a Dashboard Action to highlight selections in the legend.

The worksheet is very simple, see below. Note that I've removed the borders around the rows and columns by selecting Format > Borders from the top menu, then changing Row Divider and Column Divider to None. You could also put the mark to the left of the text by adding Status to the Label button and deselecting Show Header on the Status pill (this will also require some fiddling with the Label formatting and column width).

2013-10-05 11-11-07.png

Now you can add this to your dashboard. Then select Dashboard > Actions from the top menu. Select Add Action with Legend as the source sheet and table as the target. One advantage of this approach is that you can select Run action on: Hover. So that when someone mouses over the legend, the marks are highlighted. I much prefer this to clicking, although in your table, the highlight is not really necessary.

2013-10-05 11-15-23.png

The attached workbook as both methods. I've also attached the red circle png.

Jim

• 3. Re: Formatting of Legend options
              Steve Gesuale

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the useful suggestions. I'll def'ly apply the 2nd option here and in other places as well so I appreciate your laying it out so clearly.

Best,

Steve

• 4. Re: Formatting of Legend options
                Steve Gesuale

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion; however, I still need the OK's to appear in the table (even though they are invisible!)

Best,

Steve

• 5. Re: Formatting of Legend options
                  Jim Wahl

Steve,

Glad it worked. With the second option, you can use your original approach of making the OKs invisible with white circles on a white background, and just hide this row in the legend worksheet (click on the row > Exclude or Hide). The filter or hidden row in the legend worksheet will have no impact on the primary worksheet.

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Formatting of Legend options
                    Steve Gesuale

Thanks for the tip, Jim!