5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 1:26 PM by Matt Lutton

Action filter brings back no data

Brian Smith

Hi everyone,

I have three tabs in my workbook: a histogram, a scatterplot, and a time-series line chart. I am using an action filter on the histogram so that when the user clicks on one of the histogram bars, they jump to the scatterplot viz and see the data that underlies the histogram bar they clicked. I am using another action filter on the scatterplot so that when the user clicks on one of the scatterplot marks, they jump to the line chart to see the associated data as a time series.

The first action filter (histogram --> scatterplot) seems to work fine. But the second action filter (scatterplot --> line chart) has an odd quirk. It works fine when the scatterplot is showing the data that it was showing when I created the action filter: when I click any of the marks on the scatterplot, I go right to the line graph and see the appropriate data. But when the scatterplot is showing any other set of data, it still jumps to the line graph tab, but it shows no data at all, as if the query had come back empty.

Has anyone run into this before? I can only assume that there is a filter somewhere associated with that original data set, and that will not allow any other data sets to come through in the line chart. Any thoughts? (I would attach the workbook, but the data is highly proprietary and also really big.)

Thanks in advance,

Brian

• 1. Re: Action filter brings back no data
          Matt Lutton

When you utilize the first action, a filter is added to the resulting sheet--is the error occurring after you use the first action?  You may just need to clear that action in order to get the results you want on the 3rd sheet, but I'm not positive this is the issue you are describing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Action filter brings back no data
            Brian Smith

Thanks, Matthew. I'm playing around with it a bit more, and yes, I think that's close to what's going on. Clicking a bar in the histogram chooses the "bin" that the bar represents, and that bin value is passed on within a filter to the scatterplot. Fine so far. Then, when I click on a scatterplot mark and I see the mark's underlying data in the line chart, that bin value is still being used as a filter. Still fine.

The weird thing is that when I then go back out to the histogram and pick a different bar, I should be carrying the new bin value in the filter through the subsequent pages. But it looks as if the original bin value is still being used as a filter. Therefore, when I try to go from the scatterplot to the line chart, all of the line chart values have the wrong (original) bin value, so the bin-value filter blocks them from being seen.

So it looks as if I need to find a way to ensure that when a bar is clicked in the histogram, the old bin value is removed from the filter and the new value is used in its place.

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Action filter brings back no data
              Matt Lutton

The only way I know to clear the actions is to go back and de-select the first bar you chose, otherwise that filter will carry on.  On Tableau Server, the "Revert All" option works to clear out selections.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Action filter brings back no data
                Brian Smith

Actually I think I have found the problem, or at least the immediate problem. The bin from the histogram exists as a Dimension, but the scatterplot did not include that dimension anywhere. I added it to the Level of Detail area, and that seems to have fixed the problem. The speed of the subsequent jump from the scatterplot to the line chart is terrible, doing a full scan, but I think that's a separate issue.

Thanks for your input!

• 5. Re: Action filter brings back no data
                  Matt Lutton

That makes sense.  Glad you got it worked out, cheers..