5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 12:56 PM by Joe Pine

Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list

Joe Pine

I have a report that displays fitness info. The PE department currently distributes the vis to PE teachers using printouts (yes, we are working on getting them iPads in the future). Each class needs the vis printed for each gender and then a combined version.

So:

P/E Cardio Boys

P/E Cardio Girls

P/E Cardio Combined

Advanced Strength Training Boys

Advanced Strength Training Girls

Advanced Strength Training Combined

ETC...

(I think they may also break them out by grade (9,10,11,12)

In writing this I am thinking I can combine some of these into a single vis (find a way to represent gender and grade on the main graph)

But still... is there a simple way that I can print / export this vis multiple times, each with a different quick filter selected? Almost like a "For In" loop in command line programming.

(I a noob here so apologies if my question format is less than ideal.) 

-Joe

• 1. Re: Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list
          Matt Lutton

You could create a viz for each filter combination, but I don't think you'll find a way to print one viz with different filters set in any automated fashion.  You could probably create a parameter on one sheet that provides specific formats to be selected, then printed, as well. 

• 2. Re: Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list
            nicholas.richter

I am curious about this as well. I have a nice dashboard ready to go, but I am wondering if there is a way do a batch export that takes the dashboard and then for each entry in a list filters by that entry, exports to PDF, and then moves to the next.

So a CSV (for example) with:

DEPT,VALUE,ZIP

DEPT1,999,98101

DEPT2,998,90210

DEPT3,997,98155

DEPT4,996,01010

Would result in four PDFs named DEPT1, DEPT2, DEPT3, DEPT4, and ALLDEPT where each of them having (for example) a map with the ZIP highlighted and the VALUE on the shape of the ZIP code, and the DEPT? as a title (except for ALLDEPT which would present the same data, but include values from all departments).

Is this possible? In my use case, I have a decent number (50-100?) of these that I need to create and would prefer not to have to do it by hand.

• 3. Re: Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list
              Andy Piper

Do you have Tableau Server? If so, you could pass filter options via a URL. You could then use a Windows automation tool or batch program to pass a URL, print out the page, then pass another URL, print, etc. until all are done. I have not personally tried this (though have been meaning to), but in theory it should work.

• 4. Re: Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list
                nicholas.richter

That may be coming within the next year, but for now it is Desktop Professional that I have access to. Good idea on passing filters via an argument in the URL. I'll give that a try if/when we do more to Tableau Server.

• 5. Re: Print / export a vis for each option in the filter list
                  Joe Pine

URL arguments sound like a great feature, yes we are running Server. Though they will not work in this current situation.

I think posting here has helped me find a bit of clarity and for now I am going to create a dashboard that she can export to PDF that will contain multiple vis' so she can see the gender and grade based breakdowns on the same page. That at least cuts her project size down by a few pages.

thanks everyone for the feedback.