5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 7:52 AM by Toby Erkson

What's the incentive?

Shawn Wallwork

I just don't get the whole spammer incentive structure; what am I missing? Do people actually click on these links? Is someone paying for these to be posted? Does this generate revenue for anyone? Or is it just to annoy us all? Does someone have something against Tableau forums and this is their revenge? I don't get it.

--Shawn

• 1. Re: What's the incentive?
          Dustin Smith

Unfortunately it's nothing even half as exciting.  From what we can tell, SPAM like this is purely around building SEO link popularity for short amounts of times.  Nothing to do with Tableau specifically other than for a small group of SPAMMERS it's on a list of probably hundreds of sites they have decided to target.

New stuff from this morning should be gone now.  Thanks for the heads up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What's the incentive?
            . Indumon

I think they are coming from Spam bots. I recommend Tableau registration page should add a Catcha technique to verify that the registrant is a human.

• 3. Re: What's the incentive?
              Shawn Wallwork

No, no, please no catcha. Jive already makes posting a cumbersome process. One more layer and it will kill the forums...

--Shawn

• 4. Re: What's the incentive?
                Dustin Smith

It's definitely not Spambots since in order to create an account you have to manually verify by email.  Additionally, many of the rate control techniques we can use to control SPAM (no more than 1 post per minute per account) which help fight automated SPAM programs, would fail here since the rate these folks post at is between 2 and 5 minutes apart.

Capcha is painful and not something we want to do and filtering for keywords is only something we want to do in an extreme situation.  The Google indexing (or selective indexing) is an interesting idea, unfortunately we're pretty sure that the folks doing the spamming are far disconnected from the folks reaping the benefit of the link popularity (blackhat SEO firms is the phrase that gets used) so I don't think the message would get through that their activities aren't working.

The good news is that our abilities to react quickly and clean-up in bulk are getting better everyday.  We're also working on some pretty crafty preventative strategies as well.

• 5. Re: What's the incentive?
                  Toby Erkson

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

No, no, please no catcha. Jive already makes posting a cumbersome process. One more layer and it will kill the forums...

--Shawn

Agreed, but he meant for the registration process.

I agree w/you Shawn, I don't get it either.  The following are MY opinions -- Those that fall in this category are one or more of: greedy, socially unadept, inconsiderate, evil, greedy, losers, self-centered, greedy, impotent.  These people caught doing such stuff should have their thumbs and pinky fingers chopped off with a hatchet.  Not only will they be branded but it will make it a difficult daily reminder when they try to type on a keyboard.