7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 8:14 AM by Toby Erkson Branched to a new discussion.

Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work

Dawid Nawrot

I know it may not be the most descriptive subject but I installed Tableau Software on my machine and it worked perfectly fine. However suddenly my views wouldn't load (though Tableau Desktop didn't have problems) so I restarted the server (twice). Unfortunately localhost:8000 is not available. Restart of the whole PC helped once but it's not a solution.

Anyone experienced similar problems?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
          Russell Christopher

Hey Dawid -

Can you describe what happened when you tried to load a view in Tableau Server? Did you see an error message?

Also, Can you describe how you restarted Tableau Server?

It sounds like you're saying that Tableau is listening on port 8000 - Have you installed any new applications that would ALSO listen on this port? Have you done anything with machine firewalls that would block 8000?

• 2. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
            Dawid Nawrot

Hi,

I was using Tableau Server for couple of days and it was fine. Didn't install anything new. But I was embedding an iframe into the page (javascript solution didn't work) and suddenly the workbook stopped loading, although my Tableau Desktop executed everything as normal (I had to rule out connection problems).

I used Tableau Server icon in the tray and right click "Restart Server", nothing helped. Only when I restarted my machine completely I was able to start the server again. But embedding didn't work so I restarted it again, no luck.

Now I've changed the port to 8001 and tried localhost:8001 but also no luck.

When I click Display Status, tabadmin.exe executes but nothing happens.

Also there was no changes to the Firewall and I keep "Open Ports in Firewall" checked in Tableau Server Configuration.                                                       

• 3. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
              Russell Christopher

Hey David -

I doubt the embedding caused your problem - probably a red herring as I've never seen someone embedding a report cause Tableau Server itself to stop working.

When you use the Tableau Server system tray applet to Restart the server and/or ask for Status, it can take a fair amount of time without visible feedback. For example, when I choose "Status" on via my System Tray icon, it takes 5-6 seconds before the "Running" message comes back.

Just so you're 100% sure what status the server is in, I'd use the "tabadmin" commands start, stop, or restart at the command-line. Details here.

Using tabadmin, you'll be able to see what's going on as things happen. Another good command is:

tabadmin status -v

...which will tell you the status of each "part" of Tableau Server.

In your shoes, here's what I'd do:

• Stop Tableau Server using tabadmin stop
              • Launch the config tool to verify which port Tableau is listening on
              • Start Tableau server with tabadmin start
              • View a report in Tableau Server using the Tableau portal (not embedding)
              • Try to embed

Good luck!

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#tabcmd.htm

• 4. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
                Dawid Nawrot

Hi,

I managed to get it to work by manually restarting the Windows Service in Services..

When I clicked "Status" via System Tray I didn't get any message/response of any kind.

Very strange thing. I could not start it through system tray..

• 5. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
                  Russell Christopher

When you use the System Tray application, the word of the day is “patience” – It does work, but it often takes too long for my ADD lifestyle ☺

That’s why I prefer using tabadmin – you can (much more quickly) stop / start / restart and check the status of your server. FYI, using the Services applet to start/stop Tableau isn’t generally an “approved” way of starting and stop it from what support has told me. They prefer folks to use the (slow) System Tray app or tabadmin for reasons that I’m not 100% clear on myself ☺

• 6. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
                    Dawid Nawrot

Patience is not a stranger to me. I waited couple of minutes in between STOP - START actions but after the tabadmin ran, it disappeared and nothing happened. After waiting few minutes after clicking START i clicked OPEN SERVER, again tabadmin kicked it, but didn't open the path to localhost..

• 7. Re: Tableau Server locally - restart server doesn't work
                      Toby Erkson

I use the Task Manager.  Watch the memory usage and the total processor activity.  Those tell me when things have stopped as well as started.