7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2018 10:31 AM by Cristina Foit

Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?

Otto Acuna

I am using quite a bit the Google Analytics import feature, and I was wondering if there is a way to import Facebook traffic, as well as Vime and YouTube?  I am a newbie in all these things and will be thankful if anyone points me in the right direction.  Thanks in Advance

• 1. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
          Zack Finer

I'm not 100% sure of the scope of the data you want to analyze, but you may find this article interesting: Social Data Week - the Dashboards | Tableau Public

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
            Aaron Clancy

There's not a connector per se but they all have API's so you can leverage that to export information into a datatype that Tableau can connect to.

I know Facebook requires an app ID to integrate with their API, so after you set all that up you'll be able to make http requests to their graph api and get back data that you can then store.

Not sure what level of coding you're comfortable with but this is currently the only way I know how to do this.

I doubt Tableau will be adding a Facebook or Youtube connector anytime soon.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
              Thomas Spicer

Otto,

Just stumbled across your post.

As Aaron mentioned most have APIs. We done the heavy lifting and have built connectors enabling the daily pulls of data from Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. into a Tableau supported database (i.e Redshift). The data could also be imported into any other database. We prefer Redshift because of the cost/performance benefits.

We do some post processing on the data to clean it up and enrich it. For example, Facebook normally only provides a page ID, not the page name. While an ID like 1223093201931 is nice, it makes it more obtuse. The ID is better when paired with the actual page name like "Foo". We get the actual page name by performing a  look-up to the Facebook API to retrieve it and append it to the output.

Here is a example for a visualization consolidating multiple Facebook pages into one report;

facebook2.png

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
                John Grant

Hi Thomas - Am I correct that you have developed these connections for your company's internal use?  Are there circumstances where you'd make them available to others?  My interest is for a fortune 500 client in life sciences wanting to do periodic bulk downloads of FB, Youtube, etc. data from hundreds of accounts.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John Grant

• 5. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
                  Jerice Anterola

Hi John,

Not sure if you have received a reply in regards to your request, but I work for Relationship One, a Tableau partner, and we have developed connections to really any data source with an API available. YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram, relational databases etc. that we will then push to a Tableau enabled data warehouse (We prefer Redshift). We work with enterprise client's for this need and can assist you. Feel free to shoot me an email jerice.anterola@relationshipone.com John Grant

• 6. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
                    Thomas Spicer

John,

For some reason was never notified of your post. Sorry!

This is not for internal use but a product we offer.

We are actually supporting some complex use cases. We are helping large global companies, with many different brands localized in dozens of countries, get a handle on all their external data. For example, we support a large consumer products company that has 21 distinct brands. Each has a presence in 12 or more countries. This meant that for one source like Facebook they have no less than 250+ pages they are dealing with. They want to leverage Tableau for analysis and reporting. To make that a reality we manage the connections across all those accounts, pull the raw data in JSON format and then do light ETL to ensure it is works in a RDBMS. In addition, we also consolidate all FB data into a single, unified table cross metrics and pages. This gives the teams there one place to go for all their FB data. Our approach is to typically get "everything" a source offers. It also provides them the flexibility to discover different data points they may have not been aware of or derive new KPIs.  This is true for YouTubethough the model is a little different given that there are two primary data sources from YouTube via the Insights and Data API.

BTW, this also works for competitive data. We can pull in competitor data for FB or YT. The YT competitive data is a bit richer than FB due to the fact there is more publicly available, including being able to get detailed video level stats of all the content they are publishing.

If you want to create an account and test things out, you can go here and do it self-serve style:Openbridge Data Market

Feel free to reach out if you want to run a pilot for one of your clients. My email is thomas@openbridge.com

Thomas Spicer

Founder

Openbridge, Inc.

www.openbridge.con

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is there a way to import Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube traffic data into Tableau?
                      Cristina Foit

Hi Otto,

The company I work for, Cognetik, actually offers a free Tableau connector that allows you to import data from Facebook and Youtube and various other platforms (Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Bing Ads, Kochava and Doubleclick for Advertisers).

The tool is being used by a lot of Fortune 500 companies.

You just need to sign up, and you can use the connector on the spot.

I'm actually part of the support team and I'm more than happy to assist you if you need my help!

Cristina