2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2013 5:39 PM by Warren Bromfield

Two Dates to compare values

Warren Bromfield

Hi,

I am working with a large table containing daily snapshot data. I am trying to figure out a way to select 2 separate dates and compare the records from those days (and only those days).

for example: if I wanted to compare all of the inventory levels for products on one one day versus another day how would I do this?

I have played around with filters and parameters, but the only solution I have found was to duplicate the data source (which I suspect will have a performance impact) and have a parameter for each data source and then joining back the data.

any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren

• 1. Re: Two Dates to compare values
          Kasper Ulvedal

Think this could be done by setting two parameters as date-formats and then filtering the measures through if-statements in calculations (if date = snapshot date, return sales).

Please see the attached workbook (i have added two parameters "Snapshot date 1 & 2" and two calculations "Sales on snapshot date 1 & 2").

My example is made on region, but as soon as you have the calculations in place - they will work across all dimensions.

Hope this will help you forward...

Cheers Kasper

update: attached Packaged workbook (sorry it was a twb only on the first post)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Two Dates to compare values
            Warren Bromfield

Thank you Kasper,

That was really helpful, this work fantastically until I tried to bring in any additional detail from the 2 dates, (e.g. show the 2 sales dates as columns)

I tried to apply the same logic for selecting the dates but this then purely created multiple rows as it isn't an aggregate function.

thanks,

Warren