10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 12:46 PM by Mike Morgan

500 internal server error tabcmd

Michael McCarthy

getting this error message when trying to generate a pdf using Tabcmd: 500 internal server error tabcmd

When i tried the same procedure last week it worked on some views and not on others (most of them).

Now it works for none of them. Anyone have any ideas?

tabcmd login -s http://localhost:80 -u admin -p xxxxx

tabcmd get "http://insights/views/DraftBusinessKPIs/Activeusers.pdf" -f "c:\users\adminstrator\desktop\test2.pdf"

i am logged in as admin on the server

• 1. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Michael,

The following link should be able to help:

Error Occurs While Generating PDF from Tabcmd | Tableau Software

-Tracy

• 2. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
            Daniel Nguyen

Michael,

Did you ever get this resolved?  I ran into the same issue, but with GET vs EXPORT.  When I used GET to create a pdf of one view it worked, but when I switched to EXPORT a fullpdf, the script kept erroring out.

It turns out the culprit was a view in the workbook that was blank.  I guess once the EXPORT hits that blank view, it throws off everything and doesn't complete the export.

Just posting this here in case someone runs across it

-Dan

• 3. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
              Zeeshan Zuberi

Looking at the recent response from 29th April 2015 I thought it might be useful to post the issue on this same thread.

I've had the tabcmd export working fine through powershell scheduled to run on daily basis for sometime until recently when it stopped working.

I tried running it directly from the powershell console and got the following error:

-------------------------

tabcmd :   *** 500 "Internal Server Error"

At D:\WeeklyStatsDist\SubscriptionScript.ps1:53 char:1

+ tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagela ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (  *** 500 "Internal Server Error":String) [], RemoteException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

------------------------------

The command looks as under:

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_GLOBAL_file --timeout 3600

I unfortunately can't use the GET command here because I need fullpdf (which includes more than one view in the same file). Any help shall be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Zeeshan.

• 4. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                Mark Fraser

Hi Zeeshan

Its odd it suddenly stopped working

Has anything been upgraded? v9.0.1 was released last week...

I assume also, your logged in/ have admin rights?

Cheers

Mark

• 5. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                  Zeeshan Zuberi

Thanks for your reply Mark.

No, we haven’t upgraded to 9 yet and still running 8.2 server. And yes, I’m an admin and logged in with my credentials before running the tabcmd export.

Also, I must mention that when I said it was working in past there was certainly a different issue which was causing one of the PDFs to fail intermittently out of the 5. This pdf (see first tabcmd in the list below) was generated without any filter whereas others are all created based upon filter on CourseProgram. Here are the commands:

tabcmd export "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_GLOBAL_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables?CourseProgram=BBA" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_BBA_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables?CourseProgram=EMBA" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_EMBA_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables?CourseProgram=Masters" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_MS_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables?CourseProgram=MBA" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_MBA_file --timeout 3600

I’ve even tried removing the first one from the list but the second one also failed with a slightly different error message:

---------

tabcmd :   *** 504 "GATEWAY_TIMEOUT"

At D:\WeeklyStatsDist\SubscriptionScript.ps1:53 char:1

+ tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables?CourseProgram=BBA"  ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (  *** 504 "GATEWAY_TIMEOUT":String) [], RemoteException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

-------------

I'm now thinking of restarting the server and see if that makes any difference.

• 6. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                    Mark Fraser

Hi Zeeshan

Restarting the server would be a good start to try and stop the problem.

If that doesn't work, I wonder if the problem is the filter using the URL, I don't know if its possible to do that and PDF at the same time... I cant find any examples where someone is doing that.

Can you default to the workbook (fullpdf) or view (pdf) instead?

Or create views with the filters applied, then export them?

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Mark

• 7. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                      Zeeshan Zuberi

Hi Mark,

I didn't get a chance to restart the server yet however I tried creating copies of the workbooks containing views with filters applied and then used the commands to generated full pdf for those workbooks. So essentially the export commands now look as under:

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-BBA-Auto-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_BBA_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-EMBA-Auto-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_EMBA_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-MS-Auto-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_MS_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-MBA-Auto-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_MBA_file --timeout 3600

tabcmd export  "SalesWeeklyCurves-AUTO-PDF/WeeklyStatsTables" --fullpdf --pagelayout landscape -f $saved_GLOBAL_file --timeout 3600

Unfortunately on the first test run it managed to generate first 4 files but failed on the last one. So, I think it has something to do with the server state while running these commands. I've scheduled server restart for this Saturday at which point I'll also gather logs in case I find anything specific there. Will keep you posted.

Regards,

Zeeshan.

• 8. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                        Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi zeeshan ,

Did you got any solution for it. i am facing the same issue.

• 9. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                          Jai Bhatraju

Hello guys, If anyone is still looking for a solution to this, It was a Bummer

i just had to re-publish the workbook with all the connections having embedded password and check the "Show sheets as Tabs".  and it worked.

Other options ;

Error "***500 "Internal Server Error"" When Exporting Views with tabcmd | Tableau Software

Resolution

Option 1

Ensure that the user running tabcmd has permission to export views and that the view and site exist in Tableau Server.

Option 2

Republish the workbook to Tableau Server with embedded credentials. For more information, see Embed Credentials to Streamline Signing In to a Published Workbook

Option 3

Use tabcmd 'get' with the .png extension to export the image, rather than 'export'. For more information, see tabcmd Commands

Cause

Something went wrong when you tried to export the image.

• 10. Re: 500 internal server error tabcmd
                            Mike Morgan

Error 500 is a server side error that can happen due to many reasons. Although, sometimes it also happens due to some problems at the user end.  Cleaning up the cookies or reloading the page usually do the job if it is a problem at the user end. If you're still getting this error and think it is related to the server, try contacting the support team by sending them an email. Here is a guide to fix error 500 issue, hope this will help you.