3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2014 2:49 AM by Tapani Paajoki

dynamic reference line

Jonathan O'Grady

a quick question about dynamic reference lines:

I have created an XY Chart, let us say for arguments sake plotting returns versus standard deviation.

I would like to plot an efficient frontier. The frontier is generated by referencing the standard deviation, i.e. it's a calculated field.

How do I add such a reference line?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

• 1. Re: dynamic reference line
          Aaron Clancy

Here's an example using an Upper Control Limit.

Create the calculation.  In what I'm picturing you'll need a window standard deviation so it would look something like:

window_stdev(sum(Sales)) + window_avg(sum(Sales))

Create the visualization ( in my example below it's a line chart of sales over time)

Place your calc on detail shelf.

Set your compute using accordingly.

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 10.57.53 AM.png

Add a reference line and select your calc from the drop down options

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 10.57.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 10.58.16 AM.png

• 2. Re: dynamic reference line
            Jonathan O'Grady

thank you very much for your reply. Forgive me, I must be explaining things very badly.

I used the standard deviation example because the line I'm trying to create is standard CAPM type stuff and I thought somebody might be familiar with it in that context.

let me try again. I have an XY Chart. It shows various points scattered about, predominantly in the right-hand side diagonal. The curved  line (45° approximately) represents a frontier, i.e. data does not tend to appear beyond that line. My data is incomplete, but I know mathematically where it should appear. I would like to superimpose a line representing this frontier on my XY Chart.

My idea is that I will then bring new data into the chart and look for points which lie outside my frontier.

I would also like to quantify the data with respect to its distance from the Frontier (plus/minus).

all help appreciated.

• 3. Re: dynamic reference line
              Tapani Paajoki

Hi,

I solved this kind of problem by using dual axis and trend line.. Check the attached file if it helps!

br,

Tapani