2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 7:56 AM by Matt Lutton

Filter a date based on the values avaible after another date filter

Justin Goodman

I have two dimensions, both dates, and want to be able to filter a dashboard based on data that meets both date criteria. In addition, i only want to show the available date ranges within the filter if they are actually available.

The dimensions for the filter are based on a purchase date and an arrival date, where arrival is always after purchase. .

• 1. Re: Filter a date based on the values avaible after another date filter
          Matt Lutton

The second part is easy--use the "Only Relevant Values" option when applying your filters.

The first part can be handled a variety of ways, depending on what you are trying to do.  You could display both dates as continuous (green pill) filters, and when you set the range on both, only data that meets the criteria for both will be shown.  You could also write custom calculations to create a filter or filters, or create parameters to set this up date filtering.  A lot depends on your data source/structure, and what you are trying to do with the viz.

If you can post a packaged workbook that demonstrates what you are trying to do and the result you expect to see, we can try and help you set it up. 

• 2. Re: Re: Filter a date based on the values avaible after another date filter
            Matt Lutton

Here is a VERY simple example of the simplest form of two date filtering using the Superstore Extract data set.  I limited the data to year 2013, and set two filters.  Sales by Customer are shown only when falling within both date ranges.  Again, this may not be what you want, so let us know more about the scenario and the data if this doesn't help.