1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 8:41 AM by Vamsi Bethapudy

Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions

Jay Chang

I am struggling with Tableau's dashboard actions.

I have a series of 5 different dashboards which are using a context filter.  To determine the context filter, I have created a sixth dashboard that acts as a table of contents.  By clicking on a shape mark, the user picks a business unit and sets the context filter.  I'd then like to control the next dashboard to which that user is directed.  To do this, I created a Dashboard Actions Filter that points to each dashboard in turn.  The filters are created as single select click filters where the source dashboard is my table of contents page and the destination dashboard is each of my 5 dashboards.  Thus, I have a total of 5 action filters that fire upon the user's clicking of the mark shape.

However, Tableau seemly has no way to specify WHICH of my 5 subsequent dashboards the user lands on.  Frustratingly, it seems that this is basically random.  When I created the filters, they seemed to work in reverse order, so that the last evaluated filter action is the one that Tableau lands on.  But today when I opened the file and worked on it, the selection lands me on the 3rd dashboard page.

Does anyone know how to control this?

Also, annoyingly, despite Tableau providing me my created Action in the dropdown list of fields that can be used in titles and text boxes, when I include my action in my report title (so that I can show which division/business unit the user selected), the value is always null.  Is this by design?

• 1. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
          Andy Piper

Jay,

Can you post a packaged workbook of your viz so folks can see how you set things up? Since the majority of forum responders are volunteers, anything you can do to help speed up the process to where folks don't have to recreate everything you're trying to accomplish is VERY helpful (not to mention we'll know exactly what you're working with instead of throwing in our assumptions of how you might have created something).

Thanks,

Andy

• 2. Re: Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
            Jay Chang

Of course Andy.  :-)

I've attached a very quick/dirty TPWB that shows something similar to my production situation.  This is not nearly as complex and of course it's working exactly as I expected it to work, so I'm not sure if I've just been screwing something up on my end.  But my basic question overall is - how does Tableau determine landing sequence for dashboard filter actions?

I guess my other question is - do I even need to apply my action filter to all my dashboards given that I'm setting a context filter?

• 3. Re: Re: Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
              Andy Piper

Jay,

It may be alphabetical or based on the order in which they were created (I believe it is the latter).

Would the following get you what you want?

Andy

• 4. Re: Re: Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                Andy Piper

Instead of the initial filter on the TOC page to filter dashes 2-4, you could also pass along the state field when moving from Dash 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4, etc.

• 5. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                  Jay Chang

Your next/previous functionality is cool and something I've definitely wanted to try before.  It would save me from having to have tabs visible in my server published workbooks.

But your solution does not seem to assist in my primary goal, which is to control the first dashboard that shows after the user selects a division.  From my testing, this is what I've noticed:

* even if you delete all dashboard actions, the action filter pill that is created as a result of the dashboard action filter still remains.  this seems to be a major bug.

* I've renamed all my dashboards using numerical prefixes but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.  I've even deleted and recreated all my action filters to see if that makes a difference.  It didn't.  But it's how I found the first bullet.  I'll have to test if manually removing all the old filter action pills before creating a new set of dashboard actions will solve the issue.

* I've also tried creating the filters in descending and ascending order (after adding the numerical prefix to my dashboard tabs). No dice - it jumps to dashboard 3.  To your point, however, dashboard 3 is first alphabetically.

Maybe dashboard actions leave some kind of workbook "ghost" that influences future edits?  Is there a better way to set a context filter?

• 6. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                    Jay Chang

I think I understood what you meant by that but in this particular dashboard, ideally I don't want to impose navigation order.  I'd like them to be able to flip between different dashboards as desired.  I just want to control the first dashboard they see after they select the division.

• 7. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                      Matt Lutton

Something to keep in mind here, too:  adding actions to go to other sheets is great, but in order for the actions to work on Server, you do have to show tabs.  Its a pain, and hopefully something that will be addressed in a future release.  There are other options, like embedding vizzes in your one website, and using URL parameters--but on Server, you have to show the tabs. 

• 8. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                        Jay Chang

Right - I knew there was a reason I had to keep those tabs visible.  :-)

• 9. Re: Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                          Andy Piper

Jay,

How about something like the attached. You allow your users the option to go between sheets within the same dashboard.

The benefit is that you always filter from one dash to another dash which means more control over where they land. You also give an intuitive selection of choices from where to go next, and a drop down looks better than multiple tabs. The drawback is that you can only include a handful of sheets before you notice a huge gap between the title and worksheet -- I find between 3-4 is good.

The attached uses only 2 dashboards (Andy Dash 1 and Andy Dash 2), but you could likely put all 4 dashboards into one dash board and have the TOC filter the other sheets on the same page.

Andy

• 10. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                            Andy Piper

Depending on how many sheets are to be displayed, you could place all on the same dash and use a parameter to switch between them. 1 dashboard, no tabs in server.

• 11. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                              Jay Chang

Your new example is also very intriguing.  To apply it to my situation would require the creation of a second table of contents page for my various dashboards.  I'd link the TOC portion of your navigation section to that dashboard nav page and I'd create a link from the dashboard nav page to the division filter page.  I'm not expecting that folks will change divisions much but they would go back to the dashboard TOC regularly.  It's an interesting idea and I'd like to play with it.

However, given that your excellent suggestions all seem to be workarounds, I'm getting the sense that there is no proper dashboard navigation paradigm in Tableau and I'm going to have to kludge something together.

I wasn't at TCC13 so I am not sure if the next release of Tableau will provide some way to create a navigation structure within Tableau.  I hope so.

• 12. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                                Andy Piper

There is no true native navigation within Tableau. Filters work, but you do have to prop it up to do so.

Nothing in 8.1. However, v8.2 will have something called Story Points which allow you to move from one dashboard (story point) to another using some buttons at the top of the story book. From what I could see from the screen, tabs were not being displayed in Server to use Story Points (however I haven't seen it live, so I can't say that with certainty).

• 13. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                                  Jay Chang

Unfortunately that won't work - I'm already doing this within one of the existing dashboards and there are just too many vizes.

• 14. Re: Control Destination Dashboard via Dashboard Actions
                                    Jay Chang

Is there a way to create a list of text in Tableau?  In order to use your example2, I'd need to create a second table of contents page.  Unlike my first TOC page, it won't be based on a dimension coming from my extract - it would be completely textual:

Dashboard 1

Dashboard 2

Dashboard 3

I thought I saw how to do this somewhere and can't find the reference now.  I can't use a list parameter since that won't display all the items in the list.

1 2 Previous Next