7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 5:32 AM by chris.schultz

Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add

Alex Kerin

Just got back from D.C. As always, Tableau put on a great show despite the fact that the number of us they must deal with each year goes up substantially. Food was good, rooms great (if pricey), the location was really good - love the evening in the Newseum.

I thought the keynotes were great, though I missed Nate Silver's (hopefully the recording will be available) - they were inspiring and made me think more about the way I present data. Jonathon Meade's talk was superb, and as you would expect from a design expert, his presentation was visually excellent.

There were some really nice hints and tips that I picked up, and as always it was great to see the people I know - Joe M, Gregory L, Tim, Dan M, Jonathon D, Kevin P. all the Tableau guys, and everyone else that I know well. It was also great to finally meet some people I have met here or spoken to on the phone - Ben J from Tab, Joshua M and so on.

Great job, thanks.

• 1. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
          Matt Lutton

I just returned, and my favorite aspects of TCC13 included:

-The highly prepared speakers and great keynotes--very inspirational stuff (nearly everyone I saw was fantastic)

-Great documentation for hands-on sessions for users to take home and explore

-Videos to be posted sometime (has anyone found them yet?  I thought they said they were already posted but I haven't been able to find them).

-Meeting folks from Tableau and the forum--although I did not do as good a job as I had hoped with meeting more of them.

-New feature announcements

-Some great visualizations on display

My only real issue was that a lot of hands-on/Jedi sessions became watered down, but I understand this is because of the huge number of customers--and many folks were attending with various levels of experience.  However, having access to all the documentation and videos afterward is a huge help in this regard.  I was a little overwhelmed by the number of people in attendance...  Overall, though, I think they did a fantastic job and you certainly get out of it what you put into it.

Looking forward to TCC14 in Seattle!

• 2. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
            Alex Kerin

Would agree with the JEDI thing, though I wonder if there isn't much more to say?

• 3. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
              Matt Lutton

Right.  And the truth is, I'm not going to learn "Advanced Table Calculations" in a 2 hour session, and I get that too.  I love the excitement that was present--and that shows up every day here on the forum.  Its an amazing community.

Cheers - and sorry I did not get to introduce myself in person. 

• 4. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
                chris.schultz

I was actually hoping to learn things that were more advanced than what they were showing in Jedi.  Some of the Jedi tips and tricks were new but often I wondered if some things considered jedi were truly worthy of being called jedi, if that makes sense.

• 5. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
                  Robert Morton

Chris, I feel like I let you down

I think that the most advanced techniques are difficult to demonstrate using data that is unknown to the audience beforehand and perhaps not representative of their own challenges.

In contrast, a surprisingly common situation at the conference is for customers to report that a successful visit to the Tableau Doctor has justified the entire cost of the conference. Of course the great sessions, keynotes and parties are a wonderful added benefit that customers still appreciate. But the reason for this response from customers is not that they needed to get past a single edge-case problem blocking their analysis, but that they needed advanced training on new techniques that could best be demonstrated when working live with a real instance of the problem using real data!

Perhaps Tableau could share public or fabricated data sets in advance that are representative of most of the common business domains or use cases, and ask customers to build workbooks with this data that demonstrate where they are getting stuck. If customers came to the conference with this exchange having happened already, the demos, training sessions and visits to Tableau Doctor would be much easier for customers to relate to their own needs, allowing them to appear more compelling and advanced.

-Robert

• 6. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
                    Matt Lutton

Absolutely, more data sets for this purpose would be great.  More direct tracks for various types users or various industries might be good too. I definitely look forward to videos and documents from the conference. Much of the real work and learning happens at home, but more documentation and videos are always a good thing.

• 7. Re: Tableau Conference 2013 - summary and thanks. Please add
                      chris.schultz

lol - your sessions and Russell's were some of the exceptions!