10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2014 10:42 AM by Matt Lutton

Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server

Siddharth Surana

Hey Guys

So I just want to understand how scheduling and extracts work.

I have a .tab data source that is published on the server. (This is refreshed on the server at 10:00 AM everyday morning)

Now, a user connects to this data source from Tableau desktop. After connecting to it, he creates an extract of that data source on his local machine and saves the .tde file on his local machine.

Then he saves his workbook (either as twb or twbx) and publishes the workbook to the server.

While doing so, he selects the scheduling option and selects

"Fully refresh extracts in this workbook on the following schedule - 11:00 AM".

After this process, when I open this workbook on the server, when does the refresh on the data extract happen and does it happen or not?

Hope someone can help

-Sid

• 1. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
          Matt Lutton

It sounds like you're refreshing the source data twice, once at the data source level and again at the workbook level.  I understand why you are doing that. I've tried publishing data sources and connecting workbooks to that connection but it shows up as a live connection and performance issues result. So, I avoid publish datasources altogether at this point.

To answer your original question, it is refreshing at 11am at the workbook level. You may want to set that to the middle of the night sometime rather than 11am.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
            Siddharth Surana

Matthew Lutton Thanks for your prompt reply.

So basically, I can use a published data source (server data source) on my desktop, take an extract on my desktop (for faster performance while creating views/workbook) and publish that packaged workbook on the server (.twbx)

This will still refresh the data source at the workbook level even if my .tde is on my local desktop and the data source on the server.

Hope I rephrased it (understood it) correctly

Thanks again

-Sid

• 3. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
              Matt Lutton

I am not sure exactly what your question is or what you are trying to understand.  Like I said, you are essentially refreshing the same data twice.  Because you are publishing with an embedded local extract, that is the data source that matters and ultimately impacts your workbook.

When I mentioned performance, I also meant when the workbook is published (not only in desktop)--when you create an extract and publish it to the Data Server, it becomes a live connection when you connect a workbook to it.  So, creating the local copy of the extract resolves that problem (this is in my case--this is also dependent upon your data structure and the original data source.  In some cases, performance may not be an issue...but it sure is for me).

Is there a reason you need to publish the data source and set that to refresh?  I only ask because it seems unnecessary if you are doing this at the workbook level.   However, if you are doing this simply to give access to specific users, then it may make sense.

Not sure if I am clear--I am in DC at the conference, and responding to questions when I have time.

• 4. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                Siddharth Surana

Matthew Lutton I was looking forward to join the conference this weekend too but things came up. Hope its going well.

So to explain clearly - We have all our tables in Hadoop. I am not using the connector as we have run into problems with it. So what I do is, I run a cron job that creates a text file every morning and places that text file in a shared file system.

Then I take this .tab file from the shared file system and publish this text file as a data source in Tableau. (So in effect, there are 2 refreshes that are happening till this stage - from Hadoop to the text file and then from the text file to Tableau Server's data source)

Now when the users are connecting to this data source on their Tableau desktop, because it makes a live connection to the data source (the live connection to the text file) on the server and the file is pretty big, it slows down the process of building views.

So I am trying to understand, what if, my users connect to that data source form their desktop , create an extract of it on their local machine and save the .tde file on their local desktop. Then they build their views (which is faster as they are now using an extract) and once they are done, publish the workbook on the server. (they publish a .twb)

How does refreshing work in this scenario?

• 5. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                  Matt Lutton

Ah, now I understand.  I (think) you are correct, and their data should refresh properly using this method.  I'm not exactly sure, though--but if it were me, I'd test it and check to see if the new data is added daily.  You might also want to contact Tableau Support and ask them to be sure this is the method you should use for this scenario.

Best of luck!

• 6. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                    Siddharth Surana

Thanks a lot Matthew

Appreciate your help

-Sid

• 7. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                      Siddharth Surana

Matt Lutton Sorry for coming back again but can you answer this one related question?

When I publish a text file on the server to be used as a data source, does that mean that the .tab file is brought in Tableau's columnar format (.tde file) and that .tde file is the data source?

If this is indeed the case, then it means when I connect to a data source published on the server using my Tableau desktop, I am already connecting to a .tde file and hence it will not affect my speed in building views as I am not connected live to the text file.

Thanks again

-Sid

• 8. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                        Matt Lutton

I do not know the answer for certain--support should be able to help you with this.

• 9. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                          Ratan Roy

Hi Matthew,

Can u  please check the below link and suggest me, i am getting error while publishing dashboard on the server.

Re: Urgent Help - getting Error while publishing on server

Am i missing something. its publishing on the server. but when i click on any view i am getting error.

Thanks & Regards,

Ratan

• 10. Re: Using an Extract from a Data source published on the Server
                            Matt Lutton

It appears that Russell Christopher, a Tableau employee, is actively trying to help you. I'd encourage you to continue interacting with him, since he knows Tableau far better than I do.

He had asked for screenshots showing the publishing dialog, and it looks like you didn't provide that; you should also open a support case by simply emailing support@tableausoftware.com