6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2015 7:49 AM by

multiple filters into one

Mike Sauer

Hi,

I have college graduation data, and I created a dashboard that shows the average and median GPA's of the degree recipients.  I have a series of filters for various honors received (highest, high, school honors, departmental honors, etc.).  All of these are columns in the data set, with a value of Y if they have it, or null if not.  What I'd like to do is combine them somehow into one 'single value list' selection parameter/filter where the user can select, eg, School Honors, and the data are filtered to select only those records with a 'Y' in that column.  As it is, I have a separate filter for each column, and it looks really busy, plus I don't need to display the information for the null records.  The user is only interested in the GPA information for people who have the various distinctions that they want to look at, one at a time.  I hope that makes sense.

Thank you,

Mike

• 1. Re: multiple filters into one
          Jeff Rice

you could do this a couple ways.

1)  use a parameter to switch between different Dimensions

2) reshape your data.

I've attached a workbook that shows both versions.

Hope this helps. 

Jeff Rice

• 2. Re: multiple filters into one
            Mike Sauer

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.  I like your first solution best, as I'd like to avoid reshaping the data, if possible.  If I go to 'edit' the Honor parameter, I can see the elements, but I don't know how to set it up  the way you did.  Would it be possible to provide some basic instructions.  I'm sorry, I'm just getting started with the software and haven't had any training (besides watching some of the videos, but I couldn't find how to do this in the videos).  Also, will this work if I want to show the average/median gpa's of entire graduating classes (or members of graduating classes who had various distinctions) by year, rather than showing individual record data?

Many thanks,

Mike

• 3. Re: multiple filters into one
              Jeff Rice

You can do this multiple ways. (like everything in Tableau)  Here's one of them.

1) Right click in an empty space in your Dimensions window and Click “Create Parameter” (similar to creating a Calculated Field)

2) Give the Parameter a  name that makes sense “Honor” in this case.

3) Set the Data Type .  This one was a list of different Dimensions to choose from so I set it to “String”

4) Set the Allowable Values to “List”.  This will allow you to type in the values you want.

5) Type in the names of the Dimensions into the value list.  “School honors”, “Department Honors” ets.

You are now done with the Parameter.  Now you have to create a Calculated Field that calls on that Parameter.  See the Parameter Calc in the previous workbook. 

Jeff Rice

• 4. Re: multiple filters into one
                Mike Sauer

Jeff,

Thanks for the instructions!  I was able to get it working just the way I wanted with your help.  And, I really like your model bar charts with the background fill to show above/below the trend - great visual technique/practice.  There's just one last thing that is befuddling me, and that is how Elmer Fudd ended up with Highest distinction. ???? ;-)

Cheers,

Mike

• 5. Re: multiple filters into one
                  Fareed Ahmed

Thanks Jeff, its helpfull.

Fareed Ahmed

• 6. Re: multiple filters into one

Havingg trouble using this solution.

I get the first part but then for the calculated Field I run into the issue that my dimensions are attributes pre designed in a Cube, and I cant finish the formula.

if [Sales Trend Analysis]= 'last 12 months' then [Date].[12 Month Trend Analysis].&[last 12 months]

end