3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2013 3:13 PM by Pedro Machado

How do I create a filled and symbol dual axis map?

Garrett South

Hello,

I'm having trouble creating a dual axis map.  The underlying Filled Map would highlight applicable counties and the Symbol Map on top of that would identify purchasing potential within those counties.  The attached packaged workbook has three sheets.  The Course Locations sheet is the symbol map that I would like to see.  The Store Coverage sheet is the filled map that I would like to see.  The Dual Axis sheet is the dual axis map that I attempted to create with the symbol map overlaying the store coverage counties.

Thank you!

Garrett

• 1. Re: How do I create a filled and symbol dual axis map?
          Pedro Machado

Garrett,

I don't fully understand your data, but was able to show the two maps the way you want them.

I think the issue is that you had both latitude (generated) and Course latitude on the view, which was resulting in multiple marks per state.

I re-did the view using only course latitude and changing the transparency of the filled map so that all highlighted states are colored the same.

I also swapped the order of the latitude field so that the filled map goes to the back.

Is this what you were looking to do?

Pedro

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I create a filled and symbol dual axis map?
            Garrett South

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for looking into this.  The course lat and long dual axis was close to what I want, and I think it will serve the intended purpose.  However, the ideal map would shade all of the counties covered by the dealership's region.  Your solution only shades the counties that have a golf course in them. 

More on the data:

The NGF Matched source table contains a listing of golf courses along with their latitude and longitude, county, and state.

The Dealerships table contains each county that the store covers. 

The two tables are Dealerships-left-joined on County and State, so that when selecting a dealership, all of their counties are shown rather than just the counties with a golf course on them. 

I'll play around with using the generated latitude and longitude from the Dealerships sheet in order to create the ideal viz. 

Thanks again for your help!

Garrett

• 3. Re: How do I create a filled and symbol dual axis map?
              Pedro Machado

Garrett,

It seems to me the problem is you have two sets of lat/lon variables. I wonder if custom geo-coding would help in this case (I haven't used it). Perhaps the golf courses can be a new role:

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/v8.0/pro/online/en-us/help.htm#maps_customgeocode_importfile_newrole.html

Hopefully, someone with more mapping knowledge can help.

Pedro