12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 2:04 AM by John Jose

Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.

James Charley

Team,

I facing one small issue with respect to alignment and shapes.

e.g. In the attached workbook I have to make following changes.

Demo.png

Attaching the work book. Is there any way we can achieve this.

• 1. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
          Shawn Wallwork

James, it's a little kludgy but how does the attached work?

Kludgy.png

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
            James Charley

Hi shawn,

Thanks very much for your response.

1) From look and feel wise I am looking at minor change that is 15 should be visible along with the shape not inside the bar.

2) Second thing is I am working on representing positive and negative value with shape and bar will always represent positive value. (So there are two fields positive value and just value)

So if I make one of the value negative solution is breaking. I have modified data source in the attached workbook.( At any time for orange bar shape should not be visible and for other color it should be shown properly with arrow mark up/down positive/negative value. )

Also values will be varying it can be 25 for orange color and -15 for other color. In that case it might show this shapes (up/down) at different places. I was thinking is there any way we can completely stop showing shape for orange color.

Also, your shape has become very tiny can you please tell me how to make shape that much tiny.

I have demo this coming Monday so appreciate your quick help.

• 3. Re: Re: Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
              James Charley

Hi Shawn,

I tried a lot but not able to resolve.

If different color bar is having different value they will come at different place. I have to remove shape for orange bar and keep it only for blue bar.

I am attaching a workbook where this issue happens if orange and blue bar is having different value.

Ideally in this case 15 mark with down arrow(This is for blue bar shape should be minimal ) should replace the arrow with 25 up mark. and 25 up mark should be removed.

Also let me know how you are changing shape size to be tiny.

• 4. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                Shawn Wallwork

James, fixing 15 alignment:

James-1.png

Making shape bigger/smaller is a balancing act. The basic control is done with the size slider:

James-2.png

Play with the slider...

James-3.png

James-4.png

The other parts of the of the balancing act is the size of the view, and the size of the bar. Playing with both of these you should be able to get something like this:

James-5.png

This is long enough for now. I'll answer your other question in another reply.

--Shawn

• 5. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                  Shawn Wallwork

James here's a step-by-step of how to create these custom shapes in PowerPoint:

Creating Shape.png Creating Shape-2.png

Creating Shape-3.pngCreating Shape-4.png

Creae Shape 5.png

Make sure to save it as a png file

Creating Shape-5.png

And make sure to put it in one of your Shape directories:

Creating Shape-6.png

The png format recognizes an alpha layer, so all the whitespace around the black shape is assigned to the alpha layer and shows as transparent. Which is very handy in your case, because the shape is actually centered on the bar, but the only visible part is below the bar.

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                    James Charley

Hi Shawn

Thanks for explaining in detail. Look and feel can be taken care so at least I can proceed with the demo.

I am struggling with following now.

There are two colors on the bar orange and other color. How to remove this shape only for orange color.

Also there is problem in computation when you combine it with look and feel. (I have attached workbook Book6 in my previous post)

e.g. for other color (not orange) value is actually 15 and should be coming under that color. But it is coming inside the orange color. (playing around dual axis can resolve this issue for static data but I have very dynamic and varying dual axis hence cannot assume static)

I would really appreciate it if you can throw some light on this

• 7. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                      Shawn Wallwork

There are two colors on the bar orange and other color. How to remove this shape only for orange color.

Change the compute using from "Class" to "Name".

e.g. for other color (not orange) value is actually 15 and should be coming under that color. But it is coming inside the orange color. (playing around dual axis can resolve this issue for static data but I have very dynamic and varying dual axis hence cannot assume static)

To help you with this I will need a better example of the "very dynamic and varying" viz you are trying to create.

--Shawn

• 8. Re: Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                        James Charley

Shawn,

A) Even if we change the computation from class to name It does not resolve the issue if we have different value for orange and blue bar.

e.g.  It is coming like below if we have different value. I have some permission problem so shape is not tiny on my desktop ( I am unable to copy the tiny shape on my machine)

Value.png

If we have same value for orange and blue bar then "computation with name" will make the shape visible at one place and in that case solution works .  But the usecase is not ideal as we cannot have same value all the time for blue and orange bar.

Even if signs are different they will overlap e.g. for orange bar value is 25 and for blue bar it is -25. Then it is visible like below.

Value.png

B) Let me explain the case when I say my data is dynamic. What I am saying is in real time I will be fetching data from database and it could be any value.

e.g. for orange bar value is 10000 and for blue bar value is 50

for orange bar value is 100 and for blue bar it is 5000.

for orange bar value is -7000 and for blue bar it is 5000.

for orange bar value is 50 and for blue bar value is 50000.

I am attaching the work book representing one of the case. where shape for blue bar is totally coming inside the orange and it is at the start of the graph but should be along with blue bar (tiny blue color line at the end)

Class,Name,value,average

A,FirstName,10000,0 - This is for orange bar

B,FirstName,-25,0  - This is for blue bar

• 9. Re: Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                          Shawn Wallwork

James, I am sorry I no longer have the time to help you with this viz. Hopefully someone else will. Good luck.

--Shawn

• 10. Re: Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                            James Charley

Folks,

Any one having any idea on this. Basically I want to remove shape for orange bar in the attached work book.

Thanks,

James.

• 11. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                              Harshita Dubey

Hi James,

I am not sure exact requirement of yours, But probably this may help you.

1.png

2.png

Sry if i cudnt understand your requirement

Best Regards

Harshita

• 12. Re: Urgent : How to move shape at desired location.
                                John Jose

Hi James,

Thanks for posting this issue It helped a lot.

We were trying to do something similar and we have taken your sample for reference.

I have modified your sample and posted new question according to my requirement.

I guess you will get some of your answers from my thread below.

http://community.tableau.com/message/225384#225384