1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 9:22 AM by Aaron Clancy

Can you use tabcmd to automate putting a packaged workbook on a network drive?

Julia Hennelly

I have been pointed to tabcmd as maybe a way to do this but would love some help with specifics:

We have a dashboard template that is authored by analysts who then need to share the workbook and for now our users do not want a server license.

I would like to automate the process of exporting the authored workbook as a packaged workbook and placing it on a shared drive.

The data will be refreshed daily using tableau server once the data is refreshed the workbook needs to be refreshed and then exported as a packaged workbook to a shared drive.  The user will then open using Reader.  The user can then change filters and so some basic analysis.

Any advice, direction would be most welcome.

Julia

• 1. Re: Can you use tabcmd to automate putting a packaged workbook on a network drive?
          Aaron Clancy

I think I've done this before with mapping a network drive in windows and scripting something like this:

tabcmd get "/workbooks/workbook1.twbx" -f "Z:\Tableau_Workbooks\workbook1.twbx" -u username -p password -s "http://serveraddress" -t sitename

Z: being the mapped drive location.

File/user permissions for your share drive might need to be configured properly so that there won't be an Authentication Prompt when trying to access the drive from another computer.

Save the script as a .bat and create a schedule in Windows Scheduler or another third party automation tool that will run the .bat file.

There might be better approaches floating around.