5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 7:07 AM by Dana Withers

synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server

katarzyna.kaczmarek.0

Hello!

Theses might be simple questions but before asking I searched on the net for the answers, no luck though.

1. Is it possible to synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server (Web client).

2. When I change a set up of a dashboard (eg. Set different filter) I can see the change reflected in underlying views. I am missing this functionality on the Tableau Server Web client. Is this functionality missing on Tableau Server Web client.

Cheers,

Kate

• 1. Re: synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server
          Dana Withers

Hi Katarzyna,

1. I don't think it is without downloading from the server or uploading from desktop.

2. I'm not sure I understand your question - what do you mean with underlying views? Are they on other tabs? If so, then you can only see those changes in the Server if the workbook is published as tabs (rather than separate views)

Hope this helps,

Dana

• 2. Re: synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server
            katarzyna.kaczmarek.0

Hi Dana!

Thank you for the answer!

1. To follow up, in order to have the my tableau desktop changes reflected in dashboards and work books on the server, I need to delete the workbook from the server and then republish it. Am I correct?

2. Let me describe a scenario.

2.1 Using Tableau Desktop:

2.1.1 I have 2 views and I create a dashboard containing both.

2.1.2 I change a filter configuration in the dashboard.

2.1.3 I can see that the changes just made in the dashboard (e.g. filter selection) are reflected in the views that the dashboard is built from (the views have the same filter selection as it has been set in the dashboard).  I could call it:  a dashboard is synchronizing with the underlying views.

2.2 Using Tableau Sever Web client: 

2.2.1 I have 2 views and I a dashboard containing both.

2.2.2 I change the filter configuration in the dashboard.

2.2.3 The views used in the dashboard do not reflect the changes I have made in the dashboard.

So here, a dashboard is not synchronizing with the underlying views on the server.

Is it possible to have changes in the dashboard reflected in the views (synchronize with the views)?

• 3. Re: synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server
              Dana Withers

Hi Katarzyna,

No Problem

1. You do not need to delete the workbook from the server to re-publish over it. In fact there may be advantages in not doing so: if your users have created custom views, by not deleting the workbook, the custom views stay in place. If you publish a workbook while it is already there, the server will ask you if you want to overwrite. I usually just overwrite when publishing, on rare occasions I delete the existing book first. So far I've not had any trouble with that. Though I'm always careful to get the workbook to refresh it's data on the server immediately afterwards, because occasionally I lose my password and have to reset it. Not sure when/why that happens but otherwise I never have problems republishing over what I have.

2. First of all you can set your filters up to apply to all sheets created from the same data source. It's in the menu when you right-click a filter. (you can also set it to apply to specific workbooks). That might be a good one to set.

Secondly, when you publish a workbook with several tabs, you can publish them "as tabs" or as separate views. When you publish there is an option "Show sheets as tabs". If you pick that option and you have your filters to apply to all from the same datasource, you should see any changes you made to the dash, applied to the worksheets.

If you have unticked the "show sheets as tabs", then each will become separate.

I hope that makes sense.

Dana

• 4. Re: synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server
                katarzyna.kaczmarek.0

Hi Dana!

Thanks for the input!

1. I tried different scenarios with deleting and/or republishing. I noticed that if publish your workbook and then you add views or dashboards, they will be not added to the server when you republish the workbook. In order to have also new stuff published you need to delete the old workbook from the server and then publish the newest one.

2. "Show sheets as tabs" solved my problems! Thx

• 5. Re: synchronize the workbooks and dashboards on Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server
                  Dana Withers

Hi Katarzyna,

No problem

One final note about republishing... It has worked successfully for me, but it does remember what you've published before and doesn't automatically add the new sheets to the published version. You have to select them when you publish by ticking the boxes. Maybe that will work. It would be a shame if your users start using custom views and they lose them every time you update the workbook.