9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 1:44 PM by Joshua Milligan

Subtotaling ????

Buddy DILELLA

What am I missing here??? Trying to sub-total by Group Name... I know it's a simple answer but I can't see it....

thanks in advance for the help.

Buddy

• 1. Re: Subtotaling ????
          Tom Barnes

Couldn't you just so SUM(Number of Records) and put Determine Environs in your column and group name and OS in your Rows?  Then the subtotal works because you aren't fighting between continuous and discrete.

• 2. Re: Subtotaling ????
            Buddy DILELLA

Hi Tom.  Thanks for the input and I agree with your assessment but they want to see it broken out by hosts and App Prod/Non Prod totals also and a sub total on each group name... Nothings easy it seems... :-)

I thought a simple "subtotal" on all columns by Group name would have been something easy to do...

• 3. Re: Subtotaling ????
              Joshua Milligan

Tom,

It isn't exactly a Continuous vs. Discrete issue.  Tableau will show sub-totals for discrete values used on the Marks card.  The issue is that you can't have sub-totals for Row or Column Headers.  Your suggestion is a good one, but I don't think it will quite get all the columns of the original table.

Regards,

Joshua

Capture.PNG.png

• 4. Re: Re: Subtotaling ????
                Joshua Milligan

Buddy,

I think you can use Measure Names / Measure Values to solve your issue.

I've attached a workbook to demonstrate (though I lost some of your formatting).

Regards,

Joshua

Capture.PNG.png

• 5. Re: Subtotaling ????
                  Tom Barnes

My big thing when I saw the workbook was the fact that Buddy had to create all of those calculated fields just to get a count of each item. Where that shouldn't be necessary.  Turning on Grand Totals would give both "subtotals" buddy is looking for without having to create any of those calculated fields.

I'm just lazy by nature so I look for the simplest approach.  Albeit it doesn't always work the best.  Josh's approach definitely works better than mine (but it means more work!).

Thanks Josh!

• 6. Re: Subtotaling ????
                    Buddy DILELLA

Joshua... It works!!!

Tom and Joshua...  Guys like you two make this a fun a good product to use!!!!!

My sincere thanks to both of you and your valuable time!!!!

Buddy

• 7. Re: Subtotaling ????
                      Tom Barnes

Thanks Buddy - I use the community often and it has just been a huge help so I try and give back even though I am not half as brilliant with Tableau as Josh and others are!

If you would accept Josh's second reply as the correct answer that would be appreciated so if anyone runs onto this question they know how to best deal with the issue.

Tom

• 8. Re: Subtotaling ????
                        Buddy DILELLA

LOL Tom!!!   I hear you about the brilliance part.  There are a ton of people on this site that really offer some great insight into the product.  Tableau corporation is lucky to have people like you and Joshua offering answers to questions to people that are at times, frustrated.

Thanks again for helping out I hope I can give back like you guys.

Buddy

• 9. Re: Subtotaling ????
                          Joshua Milligan

Tom & Buddy,

Thanks for the kind words!  I started out on the forums with a little bit of experience.  I've learned a lot along the way -- and I still get corrected.  It's a great community and a great way to learn!

Best Regards,

Joshua