3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 11:19 AM by Adriana Legorreta

Data blend from 2 secondary datasources issue

Adriana Legorreta

Hi,

I´m really new to modeling on tableau so, maybe what I want to accomplish is not even possible or Im doing something really wrong, hope you can help me.

I have 3 excel data sources:

1 Sales (Year, month, state, zip code and Sales)  (primary data source)

2 Sales Quota (Year, Month, Sales Force Director, Sales quota)  (secondary data source)

3 Geographic information ( state, zip code and Sales Force Director  (secondary data source)

The relationships that I have are:

1 Sales TO Geographic information  BY zip code

2 Sales TO Sales Quota BY Month  AND Year

So this will give me in the same grid the Sales and Sales Quota by Year and Month, so far so good.

Now, I want to relate Sales Quota TO Geographic information BY Sales Force Director so I can use the Sales Force Director for both measures: Sales & Sales Quota.

The thing is that I see the relationships, but I cant see the linking field icon neither on gray nor on red.  So when I drag and drop Sales Force Director to the report...  for Sales it's OK but for Sales Quota the numbers looks bad.

Can someone help me on this please?

Regards,

Adriana

• 1. Re: Data blend from 2 secondary datasources issue
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Adriana,

I'm guessing you're not able to post a packaged workbook (twbx file), but if you can that'd be helpful!

Otherwise, can you post a screenshot with the relationships and data box showing?

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Data blend from 2 secondary datasources issue
            Matt Lutton

Hi Adriana:

When you say "The thing is that I see the relationships, but I cant see the linking field icon neither on gray nor on red.", have you tried adding relationships in your Data menu>>Edit relationships?

I may be misunderstanding, but if you have two like dimensions, with different names, you can add the relationship using this method--in this screenshot, Date and InvoiceDate have different names but they can be linked by Adding the relationship under the Custom option as shown:

Relationships.png

Not sure if this helps you get your result or not.

• 3. Re: Data blend from 2 secondary datasources issue
              Adriana Legorreta

data blend issue.jpgHi,

Thank you for your time.   ok... so here I can show you what Im trying to do... in the first report I have both sales and sales quota ... by month and year and looks fine... on your right hand are the relationships between the primary source and secondary, the third one is a secondary source linked to another secondary source...

on your left hand at the bottom is the result of putting sales force director,   on green is for sales measure and its ok, but on red looks like if no relationships where placed... and as you can see there is no gray link field... please feel free to ask for more screen shots, I cant upload the the workbook as Tracy said...

ThankS