1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 8:24 AM by Marc Engle

Defaulting a custom fiscal date to current period, but allowing user to change it

Marc Engle

I have a dashboard with three sheets on it detailing product releases for a company and some details behind those releases. I've made up an example in the attached workbook that doens't include proprietary information, but does illustrate the problem I'm having.

On the "Metrics Dashboard," an action filter is set up so that a user can click on data from either of the Metrics sheets in the dashboard and have the Releases Detail section at the bottom filter to only include information from that particular selection.  The Metrics Current sheet is set to always update to the current quarter using a current quarter = release quarter filter.  When I publish the report, I publish it with the current quarter set as the quarter shown.  To prevent having to republish the report on the first day of each new fiscal quarter, I am trying to figure out a way to default the view at the bottom (Releases Detail) to be the current quarter of information.  If I try to use the current quarter = release quarter filter from my Metrics Current sheet, the user is prevented from getting detailed release data from any quarter other than the current one, defeating the purpose of the action filter I have on the dashboard.

I'd also like to achieve the same thing on the Releases Dashboard where, upon first display, it would always show the details for the current quarter (without a required republish each quarter), but allows the user to change the quick filter to look back or forward in time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Marc

• 1. Re: Defaulting a custom fiscal date to current period, but allowing user to change it
          Marc Engle

I had not found this answer before while searching, but found it after I posted: Default Filter Selection

I understand what Mark did in that response and it's pretty clever.  My end users would prefer to have the real quarter value shown instead of the value of "Current Quarter."  I have tried using this calculated filter as only the filter itself and using the real fiscal quarter value as the display for the sheets.  It requires me to put he calculated filter on the level of detail shelf, which leads me to lose the line graph in the PDP Metrics Past page, which is not desirable.

I'd love to have the capability to use Tableau's built in relative date filters because that filter would do the trick for me by selecting the "current quarter" option, but we don't yet have a way to embed custom fiscal calendars in Tableau at this time.

I'm still looking for workaround soltuions similar to what Mark brought up.

Thanks,

Marc