9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 7:36 AM by Karol Chudoba

Disappearing labels in Tableau 8

Karol Chudoba

We tried to migrate from Tableau 7 to 8.0.3 but unfortunately some of our worksheets show blanks in place of labels. All worksheets look good in Tableau 7, though.

This is original report viewed in Tableau 7:

This is the same report opened in Tableau 8:

Does anyone have solution for that? Is there any workaround/hidden setting/bugfix to make it look just like in Tableau 7?

We have 30+ Tableau users in our department and this bug is the only thing that refrains us from moving forward to version 8.

We connect to Essbase 11 cube, in case it makes any difference.

• 1. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
          Karol Chudoba

This is screenshot from Tableau 7 once again.

Only Gen3.YEAR in columns and Gen5.ACCOUNT in rows is set to be visible (using option Show Header). All other dimensions/generations placed on shelves are used only for proper table formatting and title creation. We need all of them to be on shelves, but we don't want to show them as headers.

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
            Karol Chudoba

Shawn, the screenshot in T8 looks the same, except of the missing labels. That's why I didn't bother to go to other computer in order to capture it. Here is the Tableau 8 screenshot:

You are probably right, there is a problem with T8 translating the hidden headers. I still don't see valid solution for that. We will stick to Tableau 7 then. I am managing 37 licenses in my group, but our Company holds hundreds of licenses worldwide. And because we can't advance to Tableau 8, we will veto any upgrade globally. That means entire Company will not benefit from T8's new features until solution becomes available for us.

I was hoping someone within the Community already worked around that issue.

I appreciate your suggestion to ask support, but unfortunately I do not have a good experience with them. This topic is not about Tableau Support, so I will refrain from describing my experience here. I can drop you a line on priv if you are interested.

Thanks again,

Karol

• 3. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
              Russell Christopher

Not I, said the fly.

Please open a case with Desktop support.

One thing that might be interesting - what happens when you open the v7 workbook with v8 (it looks bad), Then SAVE the workbook under a different name, close v8 and re-open the "different" copy with v8? Still see the problem? Or does it go away?

• 4. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                Karol Chudoba

Saving and reopening the book in v8 doesn't make a difference. It is not the font color or anything I can modify from UI. I tried all possible combinations.

The case number for this bug is 00261523. I'm not sure if Community has access to service tickets, so just in case here is the final response I got from Support:

Thank you for providing the information regarding this header display issue in Tableau Desktop 8.0. I have been able to reproduce the issue and have submitted all the details to our development team for review. For what it's worth, I am not sure that Tableau 7 correctly displays the headers either. I can see why collapsing the parent-level headers down to the child-level would make sense in some situations but, in other cases it may not actually make sense conceptually. I am not in a position to make a judgment call as to what behavior is actually correct but please be aware that Tableau 8.0 may actually be behaving correctly. If not, then any appropriate changes will likely be made in a future release after review by our development team.

At this point, this issue is now in our official development cycle for consideration and I am going to be moving this support case to a “Closed” status. Closing the support case will not affect the status of the issue with our development team.

Should a resolution for this issue be incorporated in a future release, it will be included in our release notes for that specific release. To monitor future releases, please review our release notes: www.tableausoftware.com/support/releases

Thank you again for sharing this issue with us.

As you see, they are clearly aware of the problem. They did nothing since April, though.

That's why I am asking the Community. You guys have workaround for almost any issue, so I was hoping for help here.

Thanks once again for trying to help!

Karol

• 5. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                  Toby Erkson

Karol Chudoba wrote:

...You are probably right, there is a problem with T8 translating the hidden headers. I still don't see valid solution for that. We will stick to Tableau 7 then. I am managing 37 licenses in my group, but our Company holds hundreds of licenses worldwide. And because we can't advance to Tableau 8, we will veto any upgrade globally. That means entire Company will not benefit from T8's new features until solution becomes available for us...

This made me almost fall out of my chair.

You're going to let just "some of our worksheets" govern the whole upgrade?  Incredible.  Here's a solution, tell the developers to upgrade the reports to version 8 and then fix the [minor] labeling...I'm sure it's not only in their job description but also falls under "other duties as assigned".

• 6. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                    Tracy Rodgers

HI Karol,

My apologies for your frustration. The Support team often investigates issues and needs to pass them onto our engineering team to either fix the issue or investigate it further. I just looked into the status of this request and it looks like it has been determined to be 'As Designed.' When a dimension on the view has the Show Headers option un-checked, it is essentially hiding that dimension and will not show. Perhaps the way around this would be to right click on a dimension and that has its header hidden and check Show Header.

Again, my apologies for any frustrations. If you'd like to continue the investigation, feel free to reach back out to our Support team by sending in a new request or replying to the email referenced above.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 7. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                      Karol Chudoba

Toby, 'some' is a relative term. I should say some few hundred out of thousands of reports is affected by this issue. And these affected ones are the most important for our business users. The format of these reports is in fact non-negotiable. It's been like that for years, before we even started using Tableau for reporting. Tableau 7 was doing pretty good job replicating our standard format. No recipient of this report will accept any change. They will rather say 'find the reporting tool that is capable'.

Talking about falling off the chair - that's exactly how I felt when Support replied we are not sure if it's a bug, or a feature.

Shawn, I tried putting things back and forth, no effect. About the sharing example worksheet, I would love to do that but Essbase connection must be live (famous 'no extracts from the Cube' issue).

Tracy, I appreciate your compassion. From my understanding, the answer said 'we are not sure'. So, I was still hoping that some new release will bring expected fix.

I started my adventure with Tableau 5, and it was cool to see that more and more options is being added and the tool becomes 'grownup'. Now, with version 8 I am very disappointed to see the most valuable table formatting feature is gone. And you tell me it's by design...

We can't un-hide the headers, this kind of advise will not work. Format of our reports is a business requirement. Business Requirements drive software capabilities, not the opposite.

• 8. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                        Toby Erkson

Good info to know.

So... <thinking out loud> I wonder if the fix could be a script that parses the report XML and fixes it.  Tracy, you said "When a dimension on the view has the Show Headers option un-checked, it is essentially hiding that dimension and will not show. Perhaps the way around this would be to right click on a dimension and that has its header hidden and check Show Header" so that means it's likely that 'option' is specified in the XML and it could be changed.

You still have version 7 and the reports are still functional so you or one of your best developers can look at a sample report, one with headers shown and one without, to see if and where the XML is different.  If you can determine that then maybe a script can crawl through the reports before (or after?) conversion to change it.  Hopefully, if possible, the XML is generic to allow this and not specific, like the XML tag points to the specific header name and the header names are all different in each report.

If you do find this idea to be true -- solvable or not -- let us know.  There are some bright people here who may be able to help even if the situation looks glum.

• 9. Re: Disappearing labels in Tableau 8
                          Karol Chudoba

Toby, I understand what you're saying. We can get it automated and it's not a concern. But I still don't have a solution to my problem. Un-hiding all generations of ACCOUNT dimension is not a valid solution, because the effect will look like that:

... and this is not acceptable by any means. As you see labels area takes much more space than it should and I can't completely shrink the unwanted label width. There is no trick I wasn't trying and I still can't make it look like in Tableau 7.

Shawn, I understand why you deleted your last post. I have an impression that Tableau people made a very bad design decision and now they are trying to swipe the problem under the carpet. It's a BUG. [Edit:] Sorry, it's not a bug, it's a design flaw - worse and much more shameful than bug.

To anyone who is visiting this thread and who has similar problem as my group: please leave your comments here. We want Tableau people to hear us and change their decision!