2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 12:25 PM by Sam Held

How to show of business number of days for processing also removing holidays?

Sam Held

I have two dates - the dates received (i.e., Friday, December 21, 2012) in a proper date format MM/DD/YYYY and the date completed (i.e., Thursday, December 27, 2012).  I want to display date to process as an integer number of days - very similar to:

DATEDIFF('day',[Received],[Submitted]) = 6.

But I want the answer to be 2 (only counting the 26th and 27th).  I want to remove the 22nd and 23rd because they are weekend days and to remove the 24th and 25th because they are paid holidays.

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 1. Re: How to show of business number of days for processing also removing holidays?
          Eric McDonald

Holidays are very much regionally dependent and on what type of holiday you mean. For example "bank holidays" are different between Scotland and England, and "stock market holidays" are different to "bank holidays".

Also Friday will count as non-working day in some countries, and start day of the week depends on where you are.

If you work with Market Data you will know that 25th &26th is not taken as a holiday in many countries and 1st January is a working day in some countries.

To add another level of complexity the days taken as holiday can vary over time or may have special days added in some years.

There are data providers who can give you world holiday data feeds if you need to go to this depth.

Of course not everyone uses the Gregorian calendar!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to show of business number of days for processing also removing holidays?
            Sam Held

Thanks.  Eric - you are correct, the holidays may differ but our company publishes a set of 8 paid holidays for all employees and two that "float".  But that is OK, because with a back-up system, I only need to account for the fixed holidays.  Johan - while it is well covered, there are multiple ways to list it so my searches only turned up a few of those that calculate business days but did not account for holidays.  Hopefully the new ones will enlighten me.