3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 4:12 AM by Paulo Dantas

Can't Connect to SQL Server - Need solution ASAP

chris.linderwell

Tableau 8 Desktop and Server.

I am trying to publish a connection to a SQL server to tableau server, here is the situation -

Tableau server sits on a larger secure network, a firewall permission has been made to contact the SQL server. We can telnet in. SQL server sits on a different network. But they appear to be talking to eachother fine.

I have full admin access on the SQL server but when i publish the data source to Tableau server i can't connect to it from tableau desktop. No matter what authentication i attached to the SQL connection i keep getting the following error.

Any assistance would be much appreciated, I am on a condensed delivery timeline to make this work.

SQL Server database error 0x80004005: Login timeout expired
      SQL Server database error 0x80004005: A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.
      SQL Server database error 0x80004005: SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF].
      Unable to connect to the server "XXXXXXX/ABCDEDF". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

class DOMException
      Unable to connect to the server "xxxxxxx.com". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
      Error: Unable to connect to this Tableau Server data source.

thanks,
      Chris

• 1. Re: Can't Connect to SQL Server - Need solution ASAP
          chris.linderwell

One of my networking folks figured this out - very great man.

When you connect to a SQL server most will go like this: XX.XX.XX.XXX\blah, what we didn't realize is that we have to add ',1433' to the end of it to force it into port 1433 (i.e XX.XX.XX.XXX\blah,1433)

With sql server, when you have a named instance like 'XX.XX.XX.XXX\blah it talks to something called the 'sql browser service' on port 1434 because you can have multiple named instances like 'XX.XX.XX.XXX\blah1 or \blah2 the sql browser figures out which instance you actually want, then kicks you over to that on 1433. Only if you have a default/unnamed instance or if you specify 1433 specifically, you skip going to the sql browser service.

This all came about because we had to specify the port on the Tableau server firewall.

Hope this helps others - this took several hours to figure out and should have been simpler.

Chris

6 of 6 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't Connect to SQL Server - Need solution ASAP
            Toby Erkson

Thanks for posting your solution, this will help others.  It's something I wasn't aware of but then I'm not a networking person nor a SQL Server guru.

• 3. Re: Can't Connect to SQL Server - Need solution ASAP
              Paulo Dantas

Another thing that can be is different domains, so you need alter the connection form data source to put the complete domain, if in this case (my case) your Tableau server domain it´s different from SSAS. Another thing that can be is different domains, so you need alter the connection form data source to put the complete domain, if in this case (my case) your Tableau server domain it´s different from SSAS.