1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 2:02 PM by Dan Cory

Any Speed Advantage to using Multiple Data Connections to Same Data?

mark bologna

I have an Excel-based data source which contains about 330,000 records.  I have need to display up to 12,000 records with details (10 or so fields) at any given time in Tableau.  I also use a subset of that data to drill into priority cases, also displaying 10 fields.  Would there be an advantage to creaitng separate data connections to the same source?

• 1. Re: Any Speed Advantage to using Multiple Data Connections to Same Data?
          Dan Cory

Generally speaking this is a bad idea. If everything is one data source, Tableau can more easily share query results between the worksheets. If they are different data sources, Tableau will have a harder time sharing information.

For 330,000 records in Excel, you should probably just create a data extract. That should be very fast for that small amount of data.

In some cases, separate connections might be faster. For instance, creating two small aggregated extracts might be faster than one large extract with every record. But probably not in this case.

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful