4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 7:39 AM by Toby Erkson

connecting to tableau data server

Joshua Ng

Below are the steps I took to connect to the tableau data server:

1. In my existing workbook, there are two views (i.e. data connections)

2. In these two data connections, I did an extract (creating an empty shell) and publish them as data sources to the tableau server.

3. I did a full refresh of these two data sources residing on the server.

4. Using my existing workbook that was opened, I connected to these two data sources residing on the server and replace the data connections to these.

The problem occurs here because my reports did not show up successfully.

Can any kind souls explain why this is the case?

Cheers,

Joshua

• 1. Re: connecting to tableau data server
          Joshua Ng

The second question that I had is if I have 15gb worth of data, how long would the full refresh be on the server?

Thanks.

• 2. Re: connecting to tableau data server
            Toby Erkson

Joshua Ng wrote:

The second question that I had is if I have 15gb worth of data, how long would the full refresh be on the server?

Thanks.

That is not a simple question because it depends on how the SQL is created, number ob tables/views involved, filtering criteria, network connection speed, available RAM, CPU speed, OS and Tableau version, etc.

When you say "15Gb worth of data" are you talking the data source is that big or that is the size of your extract?

• 3. Re: connecting to tableau data server
              Joshua Ng

Hi Toby,

I know it is not a straightforward answer. I tried to refresh the data on the server by clicking 'run now' and I am surprised the full refresh took about 50min considering that the size of the data (not the extract) is 15GB.

• 4. Re: connecting to tableau data server
                Toby Erkson

The size of the data source isn't necessarily the issue, a lot has to do with how the data is pulled.  For example, I had what I thought was a simple enough query of several tables all connected using INNER JOINs against my Tableau Server db.  I left the query running for over-night and when I came back in to work it had "pulled" over a billion rows and was still going!  And trust me, my server db ain't even close to a gig.

1 of 1 people found this helpful