1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 8:17 AM by Jim Wahl

Access a parameter value based on "Display as" label in a calculated field

Mike B

I'm trying to set up a calculator type of feature in one of my dashboards where I've got an input parameter, and then I need to calculate a number of other values against that parameter.

Since I'm trying to do about 30 calcs and display them all, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a float parameter with a list, and then create calculated variables that can run some math off each value.

For example, I've created a parameter named "Weights" with type "float" and added a 4-5 items to it, so it looks like this:

Value     Display

1.1          People

.07          Hours

5.6          ToD

I've also got a main input, that accepts a range from 1-1000 and named it "Budget".

I think want to create a calculated variable that would do something like this:

([Budget]*[Weights.People] + [Budget]*[Weights.Hours]) / [Weights.ToD]

Not sure if this is possible, as I know it isn't what parameters are probably meant for, but it would be very handy if someone know a way without creating 30 calculated variables and trying to keep track of them all.

Thanks,

M

• 1. Re: Access a parameter value based on "Display as" label in a calculated field
          Jim Wahl

You can't use parameters that way (at least I've never seen it), but you can probably do something similar with blending.

You're goal isn't 100% clear to me (do you want people to edit the wegiths?), but you could create these fields in an Excel (or custom SQL) data source and create a dummy blend field that is the same for all values in the main data source. Something like

2013-08-08 18-12-41.png

Now your formula is

Result =

[Budget]*[Weights].[People] + [Budget]*[Weights].[Hours] / [Budget]*[Weights].[Tod]

If this isn't quite what you're looking for or isn't clear, maybe you could post a sample, packaged workbook.

Jim