4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 10:32 AM by Ian White

When are map scales coming to Tableau?

Shawn Wallwork

Urban Mapping is Tableau's map source. On their website they posted this map as an example of what they can do:

Scale.png

[I added the arrows.] The #1 question I get from my clients regarding maps is "What's the scale?" Unfortunately the current answer has to be "I don't know." [Lame.]

Question: When will Tableau allow Urban Mapping to add scales to our maps?

--Shawn

• 1. Re: When are map scales coming to Tableau?
          Toby Erkson

Interesting.  For the small number of reports I've done that use maps a scale was unnecessary.  A map of the world or country and the chart within it.  Obviously a location map without need for a scale.  So, for my curiosity, what vizes would really require a scale?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: When are map scales coming to Tableau?
            Shawn Wallwork

Any map that has self-adjusting sizing certainly would benefit from a scale that also resizes (see attached). Any map with store locations and say filled ZIPs; clients always want to know how far 'that' ZIP is from my store. Same thing is true of Outdoor boards. How far is that board from my hospital location? This is mapping 101. It really surprising scales aren't available in Tableau.

--Shawn

• 3. Re: When are map scales coming to Tableau?
              Allan Walker

Also,  for using the built in data layers, a legend would be appropriate.

Good pick up Shawn.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: When are map scales coming to Tableau?
                Ian White

Good points. Note that scale changes when moving in the N-S direction and obviously at zoom level. Using a Javascript map client such as what Shawn shows (great arrows!!), the implementation is straight-forward. There is a bit more of a challenge without an interactive map client (which Tableau would need to provide). Ditto with legends of custom data.

Voting on these issues is great, but as Johan indicates, a low vote may indicate lack of awareness of the problem, which generally precedes it being considered important.

For anybody attending TCC next month, we're happy to organize a get together (breakfast, beers, etc...) to discuss/assemble a wish list