1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2013 3:13 PM by David Gordon

Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...

Shawn Wallwork

What's your biggest challenge or frustration? I ask because I'll be doing a couple of WebExes on Maps, and wanted a bit of feedback on what might be most interesting to you. Thanks,

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
          Neil Sequeira

Australia's lack of consistency in post-codes.. as this blogpost points out (not mine).  My viz's don't need precise mapping, so I get away with approximations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
            Jonathan Drummey

I know that some of these aren't strictly Tableau, but how Tableau is using the Urban Mapping data, and since I'm in Tableau it's all Tableau mapping issues to me:

- Can't use Tableau's built-in lat/long lookup in calculated fields.

- Getting maps & marks to show up for dual axis maps (I kind of understand how at this point, and I still get tripped up).

- No lat/longs for cities/towns < 15K in the US (which means I can only place 2% of the towns in my state with Tableau's lat/long lookup).

- No filled maps for cities.

- Creating a border around a filled map area (while minimizing/removing interior borders).

• 3. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
              kettan

Lack of support for Faroe Islands discourages use of maps so much that I barely use it. Therefore:

1. I am still a beginner in maps and should sit in the front row at your lecture with notebooks,
                color pens and video camera 
              2. I should not attend, because why waist time learning something I cannot properly use? 
                I need more to learn alternative routes shared by Allan (other map providers) and  Richard (filled maps)

Lack of support includes (1) incomplete filled maps and (2) limited zoom level.

The zoom level is probably related to the < 15K issue mentioned by Jonathan.

I guess the same is true for filled maps, that is, Faroe Islands is too small to be properly supported altogether.

That said, maps is the best bait to attract new customers. I hope marketing is reading this and thus bites my bait 

• 4. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                Jonathan Drummey

Shawn, I think a generalization of what Johan said is, "What are the steps we can take to get usable maps when Tableau doesn't give us what we need out of the box?" The steps might be to DIY geocode, go to hackyourmaps.com, the Cloud Atlas project, etc., I don't really know what's appropriate here.

• 5. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                  Shawn Wallwork

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see what I can put together. Anyone else have anything they'd like to see demo'd?

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                    Toby Erkson

Since security is such a big deal where I'm working, actually getting to the online servers isn't easy.  We use reverse proxys and virtual IP blah blah blah (I don't know this stuff, just parroting what my networking guy was mentioning).  The Tableau maps server(s) don't like our request or the "online.tms" file only allows one port when we need to put two in it and dut-doo-dut-doo-doo etc.  At his point my IT guy needs to speak directly w/Tableau engineering support to figure this out.

I may end up having to do an internal WMS.  Uhg.  I wonder if I can hire Allen to do it...

• 7. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                      Allan Walker

Hi all,

I'd like to chip in here, as there is some sterling work being done right now by The Information Lab with the tableaumapping.bi initiative.  Yesterday, I uploaded "Natural Earth Admin 1" for Craig Bloodworth and will upload GADM today.

Natural Earth Admin 1

Natural Earth.png

GADM (Denmark shown, global coverage, but with some known errors).  Only for Academic and non-commercial use.

Denmark - GADM.png

We're so far tested an online MySQL database that Tableau users will be able to connect to live, and download pre-processed shapefiles as per the examples.

Crowd Atlas/ The Information Lab Tableau Mapping.BI Test MySQL connection

MySQL Connection.png

Link to workbook generated here.

Scotland Water, OSM shapefile, PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Scotland Water - OpenStreetMap.png

However, we are both busy with other work commitments.  Neil, Post Codes and ZIP codes are already on the to-do list, in fact, the Information Lab have already got part way there with UK post codes.

USA ZCTA served as a background shapefile

ZCTA USA Post Codes shapefile.png

ZCTA as foreground shape file

ZCTA.png

I'd like to see an alliance with Alteryx.  Their pre-processing/ETL platform would be ideal to allow users to connect to the hitherto mentioned shapefile database.  If you haven't seen their capability, I'd strongly advise you do so.

Alteryx's amazing set of capabilities - including GIS support for Tableau

Alteryx.png

Also, the Crowd Atlas platform could be taken on commercially, to offer up extended GIS capabilities.  I've shown that with open source software (QGIS, AtlasStyler, osm2pgsql, PostgreSQL and PostGIS) and commercial software (ESRI) we can pretty much handle anything GIS that isn't covered out-of-the-box (i.e. orthoimagery, multiple path, topo, layering). It's really a question of ownership at this point.  Performance isn't an issue either (with geowebcache), and offline capability can be improved by installing a local WMS server.

Johan, we can now get street level mapping in for any country, with the OSM -> QGIS -> AtlasStyler method.  More over, with the attribute stack in the QGIS OSM tool, you can get detailed shoreline and water features.

Faroe Islands from Cloud Made -> QGIS -> AtlasStyler SLD -> Geoserver

FI Street Level Details.png

Tableau Headquarters, street level detail, from Cloud Made OSM -> QGIS  -> AtlasStyler SLD -> Geoserver

Tableau HQ - OpenStreetMap.png

Jonathan, I'd argue that filled maps are (currently) not the way to go.  Just look at Maine for example, even at the default zoom the whole state doesn't fill to the shoreline (have a look at Bar Harbor for example)!  In other words, because there is a lack of definition, they can be misleading.  Filled maps have not only foreground issues, but background issues as well:

Example of poor background mapping resolution & lack of dynamism - Ireland (the shapefile is correct to 10m as per the authority)

Filled Maps.png

I'd be very interested in Five capabilities that I think would have use-cases built up around them.

1) Z axis support.  This has come up time and time again in forums.  The main rationale is multiple level building utilization, altitude (for aerospace) and intersect modelling.  We just can't do that stuff right now. We should be able to go from 3D to 2D and back.  Z-axis support in mapping/chart types ONLY.

2) Routing.  Nearest neighbor and shortest route path analysis.  Pgrouting has been available for some time, I haven't yet enabled this in my WMS server, but why on earth urbanmapping.com haven't enabled this I don't know, it's a killer feature.  The ability to route would open up Tableau like nothing else. Note, I'm not talking about paths here.  Multiple path (e.g. flight paths using great circles) can be done inside a TDE rather than use the third party.

OpenFlights multiple paths in a TDE using Vicentry formula

Open Flights Great Circles.png

3) Openlayers/Rest API  The ability to use Openlayers with a REST API instead of WMS would be fantastic.  I'd no longer need to use parameters to call different SLDs in order to style my maps.  Think Satellite/Topo/Street on-the-fly at run time

Hybrid Topo (Blue Marble) with OSM

Tableau HQ - Hybrid.png

4) ESRI file geodatabase support.  This would have commercial impact and arguably put Tableau up there with SAP and Cognos, and negates the 2GB limit on the personal geodatabase support.  I've kind of got round this issue using PostgreSQL/PostGIS, but it's incredible that Tableau can't see the opportunity of being able to connect directly to a GIS warehouse.  Maybe this is in the works.  It was certainly on ESRI's plans at the start of the year, but it's all gone very quiet

ESRI to Tableau

ESRI to Tableau.png

There are some other issues I'd like to bring up, but that can hold off for another time, as I've got work to do...

Shawn, I also think it would be good to engage with Dan and Ian.

Best Regards,

• 8. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                        Allan Walker

Toby, it's so easy.  Just let me know your requirements and I can scope out a solution for you.  It's almost OSM-in-a-box.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 9. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                          Allan Walker

Also,

5)  Native Geo referenced Raster support, not just a background image.

Seattle, served using NAIP -> Geoserver -> WMS.

Tableau HQ - NAIP.jpg

So in short, my frustrations are that all of these capabilities should be enabled for all users, under standard licence terms, not having to go through a third-party paywall, rather than constantly prove all of them are possible/hackable (with the exception of Z-axis support, which would require a real step change).

Best Regards,

Allan

• 10. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                            Allan Walker

1) Z axis support.  This has come up time and time again in forums.  The main rationale is multiple level building utilization, altitude (for aerospace) and intersect modelling.  We just can't do that stuff right now.

Specifically, to render Z axis shape files or DXF's, as I know there is a raft of folk who don't want to see 3D pie charts.

• 11. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                              Eva Murray

Hi Shawn,

what I would love to know is whether I can create filled maps for cities, not just states. Here in Australia, there aren't a lot of states, but they are huge, so filled maps aren't very helpful most of the time. It would be great to create filled maps for smaller units, such as city (areas) or post codes, or something like that. That would be really helpful, especially given the distribution of the population.

Cheers,

Eva

• 12. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                                Allan Walker

Hi Eva,

Australia is really well served with quality open source GIS data, especially for urban areas.  Here's the link that I would consider as a start point.  Scroll down to Data Cubes.

Best Regards,

Allan

• 13. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                                  Allan Walker

Eva,

So I had a pop at these and they are both ready to be published at The Information Lab's Tableau Mapping website.

Australian Postcode Areas (POA) 2006 from Australian Bureau of Statistics, re-projected in WGS84 EPSG:4326

5.5 million rows, 5,509,505 marks.

Autralian Postcode Areas POA in WGS84 EPSG4326.png

Australian Significant Urban Areas 2011 from the Australian Bureau of Statistics re-projected in WGS84 EPSG4326

Australia Significant Urban Areas 2011 in WGS84 EPSG4326.png

• 14. Re: Generic Question for the Map & Geocoding Forum...
                                    Eva Murray

I like it, looks very snazzy! I will have a go at recreating it for my purposes, thanks for your help :-)

1 2 Previous Next