7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2013 1:01 PM by Dustin Smith

Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.

Lee Hadden

I am using Tableau desktop Version 8.0 in conjunction with a cloud server license.

I am having difficulty publishing my second workbook online.  After confirming the data to extract I receive a warning that the date fields will be changed, some date will be lost as a result.  After this, nothing happens and my Cloud account does not receive this new workbook.

2 questions,

1. What's the deal with the date

2. Should there be a delay in publishing content to the cloud server

Thanks

• 1. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
          Dustin Smith

Hi Lee,

Looks like you may have already been in contact with our support team internally via other channels.  They are definitely the best avenue here, but please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

Best,

Dustin

• 2. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
            Lee Hadden

Hi Dustin,

I have had no further response other than your post.

I also have another question.  I live connect to data held in Postgres with Tableau Desktop, then publish to my Cloud Server account, however, my dataset on the cloud is always days behind that which is within my Tableau Desktop.  How do I ensure the most up-to-date version is shown in the Cloud?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
              Dustin Smith

Hi Lee,

It looks like support asked for some additional information about your difficulty publishing to Tableau Online on 7/29 and is waiting for your response.  Would you like me have them resend that communication?

Regarding keeping your data up to date from your on premise Postgres database to your Tableau Online instance, the best way to do this is to schedule regular extracts since a live connection isn't possible through your firewall.  This link has great in depth information on that:http://www.tableausoftware.com/learn/whitepapers/tableau-online-understanding-data-updates

Best,

Dustin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
                Lee Hadden

Morning,

Yes, please resend it, I have checked my inboxes, and have no email that I can see.

Thanks for the attachment, I have already read it.  I get the fact that it will not be a 'live' connection between the query in desktop and the same query published to the Cloud, but 4 days out of date, when I have it set to refresh daily?

Can you send me some tech spec on how to make connections with a server? I am attempting to use the 'run now' function on a task to fully refresh the data in the Tasks menu.  However, I keep getting an error message when I test the connection - how can my tech chaps add Tableau to our server white list?

If the above could be incorporated into the tech response I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Lee

• 5. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
                  Dustin Smith

Hi Lee,

Support should be reaching back out to you soon.

Regarding your request for technical specifications on how to establish an automatic refresh between your Tableau Online server and your on premise database, you'll need to leverage the Tableau Data Extract Command Line Utility - technical documentation viewable here:http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/pro/online/en-us/help.html#extracting_TDE.html

Is this the current route you're using to update your workbooks in your Tableau Online account.

Thanks,

Dustin

• 6. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
                    Lee Hadden

Appreciate the confirmation Dustin.

No, I am not using the cmd line method, I am wanting to utilise a connection to my server and use the ‘run now’ for a full refresh in the Task function.

Thanks,

Lee

• 7. Re: Publishing a workbook to Cloud server.
                      Dustin Smith

Hi Lee,

Tableau Online doesn't have the ability to "pull" data from on-premise databases like the Postgres deployment you're referencing.  Instead for on-premise databases behind firewalls the operation needs to be a "push" where either you are manually republishing a workbook with an updated Tableau Data Extract or just publishing the updated Tableau Data Extract itself as a data source. Currently the only solution for automating the data update process for an on-premise database to Tableau Online is to use the command line utility we referenced above.  This is all part of the security built into Tableau Online ensuring that the data transmission conversation happens one direction; from you - to Tableau Online.

Re-reading your question I want to make sure I didn't misinterpret the original ask.  Is your current process:

1. Using Tableau Desktop to connect live to your on-premise Postgres DB
                      2. Extracting the data from your Postgres DB into a Tableau Data Extract
                      3. Saving your workbook as a packaged workbook (file extension .twbx)
                      4. Publishing the packaged workbook up to Tableau Online
                      5. The issue:  When you then view that published workbook in Tableau Online immediately after publishing it, the data is already out of date.

Is this accurate?

Thanks,

Dustin