5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 10:54 AM by Daniel VanderMeer

5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.

James Castiola

Can I connect to 5 different Tableau data extracts and have 1 worksheet read each extract?  Currently, I have 5 worksheets in a workbook and 5 extracts open.  If I want to have worksheet 2 read a different extract than worksheet 1, I use Replace Data Source.  But this forces every worksheet to read from the same extract.  This seems like it should be easy to do...  I would appreciate any insights people might have.

• 1. Re: 5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.
          Daniel VanderMeer

James,

Tableau Desktop allows you to interact with numerous data sources within the context of a workbook. One worksheet can reference one data source, while another worksheet references a different source, or you can have a single worksheet reference multiple data sources (by creating a relationship between data sources.)

To connect to a second data source, click on the Data menu and 'connect to data...' and select the data source you want to use. You'll now see multiple data sources in your Data section. For each worksheet select the data source you want to use and drag and drop dimensions and measures onto the worksheet (or establish a relationship between data sources if you want to use more than one on a single worksheet.)

You would use 'Replace Data Source' only if you want to alter the datasource of a worksheet to use a different data source.

Hope this helps!

Daniel.

• 2. Re: 5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.
            James Castiola

Daniel,

I appreciate your help very much.  You write, "For each worksheet select the data source you want to use...".  This is what I cannot get to work.  How do I tell Tableau that worksheet 2 should read from dataset 2?  When I use 'Replace Data Source' the pop-up box states:  The data source will be replaced in all worksheets and dashboards.

Jim.

• 3. Re: 5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.
              Daniel VanderMeer

Jim,

Ah, now I think I further understand the issue you are dealing with.

You have 5 nearly identical worksheets and the only thing you want to change between them is that data source... Is that correct?

I'm not sure if I know a quick and easy way to accomplish that, (besides simple recreating each workbook 5 times by dragging fields from each appropriate extract.)

You could:

- Create worksheet 1 using data extract 1

- Duplicate worksheet 1, replace the fields with fields from extract 2, by dragging them on top of the fields from extract 1 (replacing them all one by one.)

What may work (but will be a little tricky):

- Open your workbook and make sure you have connections open to all of the 5 extracts and then save the workbook

- Open the workbook in a text editor (it's in an XML format)

- Replace the references from data extract 1 to data extract 2

- Make sure you have a backup, and maybe try it with a simpler example with two extracts first

Another approach:

- Can you combine the data into one extract and use a filter one each worksheet?

Hope this helps!

Daniel

• 4. Re: 5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.
                James Castiola

Daniel,

I used your first suggestion and it worked.  Thank you for your help.

Jim.

• 5. Re: 5 worksheets reading 5 different Tableau data extracts.
                  Daniel VanderMeer

Good! Glad I could help.

Daniel.